Today’s post is quick and easy and one I go to at least a few times a week when tomatoes are start coming in. I make these Tomato Mozzarella Melts as a side dish with supper sometimes but I also like them as an evening snack or a quick lunch when it’s just me here.
They’re super easy, fuss free, and done in no time at all. Best yet, if you have a garden, chances are most of the ingredients are right outside your door!
- Tomatoes. I’m using Roma tomatoes but you can use garden tomatoes if you like.
- Fresh mozzarella. You can also just use shredded mozzarella if that is what you have on hand.
- Basil (fresh or dried)
- Kosher salt (or table salt if that’s all you have)
For all the details keep on scrolling to the recipe card below…
What Other Kind of Seasoning Could I Use?
I have basil growing in my sunroom right now but I wouldn’t think twice about using dried basil or dried Italian seasoning on these. Personally, I think I could just about get by with Italian seasoning as the only herb in my kitchen. I even get the stuff that is 50 cents to a dollar a bottle.
Tips About the Tomatoes
If using Roma tomatoes, slice them in half lengthwise. If using garden tomatoes, slice them 1/2-3/4 inches thick.
Place in metal pan and sprinkle tops with kosher salt.
Be sure you use a metal pan for this because we are going to be cooking it pretty rapidly under a very high heat and glass just isn’t designed to be cooked with in that way.
Place under the broiler on high and cook for anywhere from 3-5 minutes, watching carefully.
I cook mine until it gets lightly wrinkled on the skin.
You can just cook it just long enough to heat it through if you like though.
Can I Make These In the Oven?
If you’d rather not cook it under the broiler like I do, you can just put it in a 500 degree oven for 5-7 minutes.
Remove tomatoes from oven and top with slices of fresh mozzarella and bits of torn basil.
(remember, you can also just sprinkle with some dried basil or dried italian seasoning)
- Fresh Mozzarella sliced
- Fresh Basil torn (or dried basil)
- Kosher Salt or table salt
- Slice tomatoes into thick slices (if using smaller tomatoes, just slice in half). Place on metal pan and sprinkle with kosher salt. Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes or in 500 degree oven for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and top with slices of mozzarella and basil. Return to oven for 2-4 more minutes, or until cheese is fully melted. Serve warm.
- *For tomatoes- If using Roma, slice in half down the center. If using Garden tomatoes, slice in thick 1/2 -3/4 inch slices.
- Serving Size: This will serve as many as you allow tomatoes for. I usually allow two slices per person. This is one of those recipes that you can just adjust the quantities based on how many you want to make, which is why it makes a perfect lunch for one!
Here’s What You Can Serve the Tomato Mozzarella Melts with:
Your attitude is the aroma of your heart. If your attitude stinks, it means you’re heart isn’t right.
~Facing The Giants film