Y’all know I love me a good shortbread cookie! They are rich, not overly sweet, and big on buttery flavor. Combine that with pecans and semi sweet chocolate chips and you’ve got a cookie everyone can agree on. These are perfect served alongside a pot of coffee when sitting around the table with friends catching up on the year. They also make a very thoughtful thank you gift. With fewer and fewer people baking these days, the value of homemade gifts has only increased so I want to encourage you to forego the malls and get in your kitchen instead. You’ll save sanity, money, and the meaningful gesture will definitely be noticed by your friends and loved ones. Have I made my case yet? Alright, let’s get to baking!
Shortbread ingredients are always simple and straightforward: butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, all purpose flour, salt, pecans, and some semi sweet chocolate chips.
Finely chop 1/2 cup of the pecans. We’re going to save the rest of the tops.
In a large bowl, place butter, sugar, egg and vanilla.
Beat this together with an electric mixer until a dough is formed. Stir together flour and salt and add this in. Beat again to incorporate. Fold in pecans and chocolate chips.
Scoop this out using a 1 inch cookie dough scoop onto parchment lined or lightly greased baking sheets.
Gently press a pecan half into the top of each cookie. Bake 10-12 minutes at 375, or until very slightly browned on the bottom. Note that Shortbread cookies don’t brown much at all but after 10-12 minutes they should be fine to remove from the oven.
Allow to cool before removing to an airtight container – or a serving platter if eating immediately.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 25-30 pecan halves for the tops
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, light brown sugar, egg and vanilla with an electric mixer until well combined.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour and salt together and use an electric mixer again to add it to the dough. Fold in the 1/2 cup pecans and the chocolate chips.
- Use a one inch cookie dough scoop to place dough balls on a cookie sheet, about two inches apart. Gently press a pecan half into the top of each cookie.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, sprinkle with a little sugar when they are done.