This Cornbread Omelet is a great way to throw together a quick supper or lunch and you can use whatever you have on hand as filling options. It also cooks up in just a few minutes.
In the past while I was at the National Cornbread Festival I came across a cornbread omelet. I was intrigued, though it didn’t sound all that good at the start but my curiosity was piqued and I was won over at first bite!
If you like omelets with all the goodies inside and you love that delicate crispness around the crust of cornbread, you’ve just met your new best friend (that’d be me–or this omelet).
Oh and it’s good. I mentioned that, right?
Let’s get cooking!
Recipe Ingredients: Milk, egg, a little bit of vegetable oil, and self rising corn meal mix and whatever you want for the omelet filling.
For the filling, use whatever you like in your omelets or whatever you have on hand.
Veggies, leftover ham, turkey, chicken, anything will do.
I’m using some frozen pepper and onion blend and bacon.
The only thing you really need for your filling is *cheese* because that is what holds this whole shenanigan together.
Place all of your cornbread batter ingredients in a bowl.
Mix that up well.
So please pretend this is a clear picture. I mean, hey, it’s peppers and onions in a skillet. Good enough to demonstrate that, right?
Take a small nonstick pan and sauté your filling ingredients. I sprayed mine with nonstick cooking spray but you can use a pat of butter or a wee bit of oil if you’d like to cook them in or if your pan isn’t as nonstick as you’d like for it to be.
Cook this over medium to medium high heat until veggies are just tender.
Set your veggies aside and then spray the pan again with cooking spray, or add a tablespoon of butter or oil to it.
Place pan over medium heat again. If you opted for butter or oil, let it heat up a minute or two.
Pour a very thin layer of batter into the bottom of the skillet and immediate tilt your skillet all around a it in order to spread it out over the whole bottom. Cook for a minute or two, until bubbles form on top and the bottom is browned.
Cook this for a minute or so until it lightly browns on the bottom.
Flip that over and let it cook just until the cheese begins to melt.
Take a quick photo, take a quick bite, smile and say Mmm, Mmm!
- 1 Cup Self Rising Corn Meal Mix
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 2 Cups cheddar cheese
- 2-3 Cups of Filling ingredients of your choice onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, cooked bacon, cooked ham, cooked chicken, etc
- Place small omelet skillet over medium heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, place milk, egg, oil, and corn meal mix. Stir until well combined and smooth.
- Add filling ingredients to your skillet and sauté until tender. Remove from skillet and wipe skillet out before returning to stove eye. Spray skillet again with nonstick cooking spray or add a tablespoon of oil or butter. Allow to heat. Pour a thin layer of cornbread batter into skillet, tilting skillet around until it coats the bottom. Cook until top is bubbled and bottom is browned. Flip and cook until just lightly browned on the other side. Top omelet with 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/2 cup filling ingredients, and another 1/4 cup cheese. Fold over and press down lightly with spatula to help seal. Cook just until cheese begins to melt. Remove to plate and make remaining omelets.
Makes 4 Cornbread omelets and 2-4 happy stomachs 🙂
You may also like these omelet recipes:
How about these cornbread recipes…
“I’ve always thought that a big laugh is a really loud noise from the
soul saying, ‘Ain’t that the truth.’”