This crock pot cheesy chicken and rice is one of the most popular recipes of all time on Southern Plate, and with good reason!
FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, A FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD IS AT BOTTOM OF THE POST
You talk, I listen. Well, I listen whenever I can, of course!
Folks have been asking for more slow cooker recipes for a multitude of reasons. Who doesn’t like to come home and have supper all cooked and waiting for them? I know I sure do! This is a recipe I modified for the slow cooker and some of you will be happy to know I also removed the entire stick of margarine it called for.
Alright, lets get cooking!
To Make the Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice you’ll need these ingredients:
- Yellow Rice*
- Cream of Chicken (homemade recipe here)
- Whole kernel corn
- Chicken breasts
- Shredded cheddar cheese.
Tips to Consider for this Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
I love Zatarain’s rice, one of my favorite meal helpers.
If you want to use the lower fat cream soup that’s fine in this too. A lot of folks have been making my Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice with cream of chicken because they don’t care for cream of mushroom and that is great, too! Make it your own and tweak these recipes however they work best for your family.
- Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Chop up onion and toss on the top.
- Spoon or glob your cream soup over that.
- Now cover this and cook it according to the following:
- Low – 7-8 hours
- High 3-4 hours.
(printable recipe card at bottom of this post)
This is great to put on in the morning on the weekends if you cook it on high and then have a nice meal at lunchtime.
- When it is done cooking, drain your corn and toss that in
- Add your cheddar cheese.
- And last but not least, add in your COOKED rice.
You’ll need to cook your rice before this step. What I like to do is cook my rice the night before and just stick it in the fridge. Then you can dump it in and stir it up and give it a minute or two to get heated. You can also cook your rice soon as you get home, though. It’s still an easy and delicious supper!
- Stir all of that up and give it a few minutes to get all heated and warm (this won’t take long)
This stuff is to die for. Prepare for a happy landing in your stomach!
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1 onion large, chopped (I use Vidalia)
- 8 ounce Zatarain's Yellow Rice Mix 1 box, cooked according to directions
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 - 10.5 ounce cream of chicken soup regular or fat free
- 1 -15 ounce whole kernel corn drained
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Scatter chopped onion over top. Spoon cream soup over top of that. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese. Stir to combine. Serve hot.
“Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today.
It’s already tomorrow in Australia.”
~Charles Schultz. Submitted by Amy