If you’re a fellow fan of breakfast for dinner, you’re going to love this cheesy and easy omelet recipe. Baked in the oven, the best part is you can customize it to suit you.
Back in my younger days, one of my favorite things to do with friends was head over to Shoney’s on Wednesday nights because that was the night where they served their breakfast buffet for dinner. To a teenager, this was pure bliss and our night out became a tradition I carried forward after I got married.
While I don’t get to eat my beloved French toast sticks as often these days, I’m still a huge fan of breakfast for dinner. In fact, those two-ingredient banana pancakes have become one of the go-to quick meals in my house. Today I thought I’d show you my favorite easy omelet that’s baked in the oven and ready to eat in 40 minutes. Every slice is creamy, fluffy, and cheesy perfection.
The ingredients are really simple (just eggs and milk) and you can customize your omelet to your own tastes. Isn’t that the cool thing about omelets? While I’ve opted for a combination of turkey sausage, cheddar cheese, and peppers/onions, I also think an omelet with roast beef, peppers, and mozzarella cheese would be divine. I gotta get around to doing that one day!
You’ll find a list of customization ideas down below, so let’s get cooking and make ourselves a delicious fluffy omelet in the oven!
- Turkey sausage
- Frozen pepper/onion blend
Crack all your eggs into the bowl.
Now listen, I know this recipe calls for eight but if you only have six, just go ahead and make it with six. Don’t go running out to the store to get more eggs just for this. I think the best dishes are the ones you make do with, that is how all of the good recipes came about anyhow.
Add your to the .
I’m using whole milk, but 2% or even skim milk will work just fine.
Whip it, whip it good!
If you just smiled and did a little dance when you read that, you dated just dated yourself!
Add the to the and .
Then add the turkey sausage to the beaten eggs.
Add in your peppers and onions.
I use about a cup of the mixed variety.
Mix that up as well.
Here is my 8×8 pan, already sprayed with cooking spray.
Pour the omelet into your prepared dish. Wasn’t that easy?
Now, instead of standing over the stove and watching this cook in a skillet, all we have to do is pop it in the oven and go about our day.
Bake your easy omelet in a 350-degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until it no longer wiggles in the middle when you shake it a bit.
Dinner’s ready! I like to serve a slice of baked omelet with a dollop of sour cream on top and season with and black to taste.
- Store omelet leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave before serving.
- You can also freeze cooked portions for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating in the microwave.
Customize Your Omelet
Here are some easy substitutions and additions to customize this baked American and make it your own:
- Substitute a cup of your favorite veggies for the onion and bell pepper blend. I recommend chopped mushroom, spinach, tomatoes, green onion, or red onion.
- Use your favorite shredded cheese in place of the cheddar cheese, like mozzarella cheese, Swiss cheese, or Pepperjack cheese.
- Add in leftover meat in place of the turkey sausage. You could also use baked ham or bacon.
- Top your easy omelet with salsa, Hollandaise sauce, avocado, extra shredded cheese, sour cream, or hot sauce.
- Add in some extra flavoring through different seasonings and . This might include fresh parsley, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, or paprika.
- I love onions and bell peppers and I also love shortcuts. So sometimes I just buy this bagged mix of them unless I already have the peppers on hand. You can often find a mix of onions and bell peppers in the freezer section under the name of seasoning mix or pepper and onion blend.
- Make a breakfast sandwich and place your slice of omelet between two pieces of toast or an English muffin. Serve with spinach and one of the sauces mentioned above.
- Top your slice of omelet with a slice of cheddar cheese and quickly heat it in the microwave for something different.
- You could also serve a slice of your easy omelet with a refreshing and light side salad.
- For a slightly healthier version, you can use half yolks and half .
Check out these other delicious breakfast recipes:
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled turkey sausage
- 1 cup diced onion and bell pepper blend
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Then add the milk and all other ingredients. Beat until well combined and then pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish.8 eggs, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup cooked and crumbled turkey sausage, 1 cup diced onion and bell pepper blend
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until it no longer wiggles in the middle when you shake it a bit.
- Customize your omelet: substitute a cup of your favorite veggies for the onion and bell pepper blend, use your favorite shredded cheese in place of the cheddar cheese, or add in leftover meat in place of the turkey sausage.
This post was originally published in 2010. I updated the photos in 2020.
If you’d like an individual-sized version of this that is freezer-friendly, click here to get the recipe for my Muffin Tin Omelets.