How to Make Huevos Rancheros
Huevos Rancheros – Fresh, Fast, Flavorful and make the a wonderful breakfast, lunch or supper!
My friends at Kroger were kind enough to send me samples of their latest fresh offerings from the deli, PeakFection Guacamole and Salsa. They wanted me to try them out and share my thoughts. What really stands out in the flavor department is that they are made with fresh ingredients acquired at the peak of perfection. I actually opened each container and had a spoonful immediately and I gotta tell you, the fresh taste was stunning.
I think this is my new favorite Guacamole, it tastes just like my mother made it herself.
A Texas Classic: Huevos Rancheros
I decided to go one step further beyond just a review and use these ingredients to share one of my favorite versions of a Texas classic, Huevos Rancheros. I had this for the first time on my 2010 book tour in a Dallas airport and was hooked.
The blend of flavors and textures are perfect served atop a crispy tortilla and smothered in melted cheese.
Serve Huevos Rancheros for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
The great thing about this supper (although it is a traditional breakfast) is that the only real cooking involves lightly browning a tortilla in a skillet and then frying two eggs in the same skillet. A fresh and flavorful supper is ready in a flash.
Ingredients you’ll need for Huevos Rancheros:
- Tortillas (flour or corn)
- Refried Beans
- Cheese (whatever kind you like)
- Fresh Guacamole and Salsa
- To start, heat about a tablespoon or so of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Place your tortillas in there, one at a time, and cook until just browned and crispy on both sides. This won’t take long so don’t step away from it.
- Here is our lightly browned and crispy tortilla 🙂
- Now fry an egg or two for each serving you want. I generally use two eggs for each serving. Just use that same pan and oil that you used for the tortilla. No sense in dirtying up another dish!
You can assemble this however you want but here is what I do.
- Heat up the refried beans and spread a generous layer over the tortilla.
- Top that with fresh salsa and top that with fresh guacamole.
On both of these counts you can make your own or just go head to the Kroger deli and pick up some PeakFection.
- Top that with your eggs, a sprinkling of kosher salt, black pepper, some grated cheese, and more salsa and guacamole as garnish if you like.
Now, DIG IN!
For each Serving:
- 8 inch flour tortilla traditional recipe uses corn
- Refried Beans
- 2 Eggs
- Grated Cheese your preference or whatever you have
- Heat a tablespoon or two of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tortilla and cook on both sides until just lightly browned and crispy. Remove to plate. Add eggs to skillet and cook to desired doneness. I cook mine until they are just slightly runny in the center but my husband prefers his over well (solid centers).
- Spread a generous amount of refried beans over crispy tortilla. Top with a generous spread of salsa and follow that with guacamole.
- Place cooked eggs on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cheese. You can put the plate under the broiler to melt the cheese if you like. Garnish with more salsa and guacamole. Enjoy!
You might also enjoy these recipes!
“My life – my personality, my habits, even my speech – is a combination of the books I choose to read, the people I choose to listen to, and the thoughts I choose to tolerate in my mind”
Sponsored Post: Special thanks to my friends at Kroger for providing me with the PeakFection ingredients for this post as well as a gift card to purchase the other ingredients! I sure do appreciate them and y’all!