This easy breakfast quiche recipe is the perfect make-ahead breakfast. In the flaky pie crust is a fluffy egg mixture overloaded with turkey sausage, hash browns, and shredded cheese.
We really like to pack as much protein as possible into our breakfast and quiches are a great way to do that. Years ago, I noticed that local grocery stores sold pre-cooked quiches in their refrigerated deli section with instructions on how to heat up a single slice at a time. I picked one up and brought it home and enjoyed a delicious protein-rich breakfast every morning for a whole week on that one quiche! Once that one ran out I started to make my own, which was even better since I could customize it.
A breakfast quiche is one of the simplest things you can make, especially when you use a store-bought crust. Take your favorite meats (or leave them out entirely), add some veggies if you like, and top with a little cheese. The egg mixture brings it all together in this wonderful blend of flavors and textures. Bake the quiche fully ahead of time and store it in your fridge for a quick breakfast when you need it. I also grab a slice for lunch from time to time and we have had this for supper on more than one occasion.
Have fun with the ingredients!
There really is no limit to what you can add to this easy breakfast quiche recipe in terms of ingredients. In this particular one, firstly, we are using cooked and crumbled turkey sausage. I LOVE the Jennie-O brand that comes in a roll. It is just perfect and while we only eat turkey sausage now our son eats all kinds and he still prefers that brand to traditional sausage. Then we’ve got frozen cubed hash browns (my husband’s request), and cheese. Of course, you’ll always need eggs, milk, and some salt and pepper. For the crust, I like to use refrigerated crusts that you roll out into your pan or just a frozen pie crust all ready to go.
Alright, who’s ready to bake a make-ahead breakfast quiche and enjoy a delicious slice for breakfast tomorrow morning? ME!
- Regular store-bought pie crust (here’s my easy homemade pie crust recipe, but you folks know I’m team store-bought).
- Cooked and crumbled turkey sausage
- Frozen diced hashbrowns
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Milk, half and half, or heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
How to Make My Easy Breakfast Quiche Recipe
Place your pie crust in a pie dish or pie plate or just sit out your frozen pie crust if that is what you are using.
Put the filling ingredients inside: turkey sausage, hash browns, and cheese.
I’ll add more cheese in a minute so you’ll see that in other pictures. I tend to use this recipe to “use up” shredded cheese that is lingering in my fridge from other recipes.
Place your eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
Beat ’em til they’re well blended.
Pour the egg mixture over your crust.
Top with cheese of your choice or whatever cheese you have on hand.
This is where I like to clean out the refrigerator so sometimes I use cheddar, sometimes mozzarella, and sometimes a blend of both.
All done and ready to go in the oven!
Pie can be served warm immediately or allow it to cool, wrap it in foil, and store it in the fridge.
- When stored in an airtight container or wrapped in foil, this will keep for up to a week in the fridge. To reheat, take a single slice and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Heat in microwave until heated through (about one minute).
- This also freezes well. Just make sure you wrap it up really well. My favorite freezer tip is to go ahead and cut the pie into slices and freeze those individually. Then let them thaw overnight in the fridge before quickly reheating them in the morning.
- I am using Jennie-O turkey sausage, but any kind of breakfast sausage works.
- A regular crust will work just fine for this one. But if you wanted to get a deep dish pie shell you could double the eggs to fill it.
- If you can’t resist a little heat, add a pinch (1/8 teaspoon) of crushed red pepper flakes, paprika, or cayenne pepper to the egg mixture.
- The quiche might still have a tiny bit of jiggle in the middle but it will set once you take it out. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving to firm up.
- For extra flavor, add a teaspoon of garlic powder or a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
What is breakfast quiche made of?
There is no typical breakfast quiche recipe. The only common denominator is that it starts with a cheesy egg mixture. But then some people add bacon, others add sausage, and some add veggies.
Do I have to pre-bake my pie crust for quiche?
No, I don’t pre-bake my quiche crust and it turns out perfect every time!
Can I use milk instead of heavy cream for quiche?
Yes, you can use milk, heavy whipping, cream, or half and half in this quiche recipe. You can also use any kind of dairy-free milk too.
What other ingredients can I add to my breakfast quiche?
You can really add any kind of meat, cheese, and veggies to your breakfast quiche. Here are some suggestions:
- Veggies (as a general rule, I’d only add about a cup of chopped vegetables in total): sliced mushrooms, green or red bell pepper, green onion, tomato, zucchini, baby spinach leaves, and leek.
- Cheese: see below!
- Meat: leftover baked ham, cooked crispy bacon or turkey bacon bits, or pork sausage.
- Substitute the hash browns for chopped cooked tater tots or chopped roasted potatoes. You just want the pieces to be nice and small.
What kind of cheese is good in quiche?
There’s really not a bad cheese to add to quiche. While I recommend shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese for the top melted layer, in the pie filling feel free to add Swiss, Gruyere, feta, goat, parmesan, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack cheese.
Can I make my breakfast quiche ahead of time?
Absolutely! This breakfast quiche will last up to 1 week in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can reheat it quickly in the microwave, oven, or air fryer.
What goes with quiche for breakfast?
You can serve your quiche with fresh fruit or a fruit salad for breakfast and a simple green salad for lunch.
Check out these other easy breakfast recipes:
Breakfast Sliders With Sausage & Cornbread
French Breakfast Puffs with Fresh Strawberries
Cracker Barrel Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole (Copycat Recipe)
- 1 store-bought regular pie crust
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled turkey sausage
- 1 cup frozen diced hash browns
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk, half and half, or heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- If using refrigerated roll-out crust, roll it out into a 9-inch pie plate. If using a frozen crust, set it out on the counter.1 store-bought regular pie crust
- Evenly spoon sausage, hash browns, and cheese into the pie shell.1 cup cooked and crumbled turkey sausage, 1 cup frozen diced hash browns, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, place eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Beat with a fork until well blended. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pie crust.3 eggs, 1/2 cup whole milk, half and half, or heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Quiche might still have a tiny bit of jiggle in the middle but it will set once you take it out.
- Serve warm immediately or allow it to fully cool, wrap it in foil, and store it in the fridge for a quick heat-up meal throughout the week.
The past is valuable to you as a guidepost, but dangerous if you use it as a hitching post.
Be still my heart, Make Ahead Quiche sounds so good. Thank you.