Ready to eat in 10 minutes and filled with delicious flavorings like taco seasoning, green chiles, sour cream, tender chicken, and tortillas, this Mexican-inspired microwave chicken tortilla casserole recipe is a must-make for friends and family.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite summer supper recipes. This easy chicken tortilla casserole recipe blissfully avoids heating up your house as it uses a microwave. This always surprises people when they taste it. I think folks expect a microwave casserole to be tough and chewy, but you’ll find this one is cooked just right.
I came upon this recipe in one of those little check-out cookbooks right after Ricky and I got married. Every recipe in that cookbook was good and wouldn’t you know, I lost it within the year ~laughs at her own disorganization~. Fortunately, I had this one memorized because I had made it so much! My husband and I love it and it also reheats well.
This Mexican casserole is packed with flavor, thanks to the taco seasoning, cilantro, green chiles, and french fried onions. It’s also ready to go from start to finish in under 10 minutes. So when it comes to easy casserole recipes, I don’t think you’ll find an easier one anywhere.
Now let’s get cooking so we can get back to enjoying all of those sacred summer moments with our family!
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Flour tortillas
- Chopped green chilies
- Taco seasoning
- Shredded chicken
- French fried onions
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Casserole in the Microwave
Now let’s get started. This is SUPER easy and it’s gonna go fast so stay with me here :).
First, chop your fresh cilantro.
Then dump all of your ingredients into a large bowl.
Note: We’re saving half of the cheese and half of the onions for the topping.
Stir that all up until well combined – or close enough :).
It’s not like the world is gonna end if we don’t stir it just right.
Now take one of your tortillas, tear it into small pieces, and add that to the bowl also.
Stir it up again.
Place the other tortilla on the bottom of a microwave-safe pie plate.
Spoon your chicken mixture into it.
Microwave for five minutes.
Remove from microwave and top with remaining french fried onions…
and shredded cheese.
Return to the microwave for another minute or until cheese is melted.
Enjoy a flavor-packed casserole for supper in a cool kitchen!
As mentioned, these casserole leftovers reheat really well. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Once again, reheat in the microwave.
- I like to pick up a rotisserie chicken for a quick lunch on those crazy days. Usually, I can get one for the same price as an uncooked fryer so it’s like someone did the work for me. I just have some for lunch and save the rest for this casserole! Another great way to get chicken on the cheap is to buy leg quarters in ten-pound bags. I boil all of the leg quarters in a large stockpot, shred and bag the chicken, and then use the stock for chicken noodle soup or chicken stew.
- In saying that, you can use any kind of cooked chicken in this casserole recipe, including shredded chicken breast. Just as long as it’s about 2 cups, you’ll be good to go.
- While my chicken tortilla casserole tastes delicious on its own as a main dish, you can definitely add your favorite taco toppings on top. Like a dollop of sour cream, chopped , chopped , diced avocado or guacamole, salsa or , pico de gallo or , hot sauce, and lime juice.
- Feel free to substitute the cheddar cheese for your favorite. Monterey Jack cheese or a Mexican cheese blend would be perfect!
- While you can swap the tortillas for , you’ll need more to cover the base. They’re also crumblier, so be careful when serving.
Check out these other delicious chicken casserole recipes:
- 2 cups chicken give or take, just use however much you have
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup french fried onions divided
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 10-inch flour tortillas
- Place the chicken, sour cream, half of the cheese, half of the onions, the chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, and chopped cilantro in a large bowl. Stir well to combine. Tear one tortilla into small pieces and add to the bowl, stirring again until well incorporated.2 cups chicken, 8 ounces sour cream, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup french fried onions, 4 ounces chopped green chilies, 1 packet taco seasoning, 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 2 10-inch flour tortillas
- Line a microwave-safe pie plate with the remaining tortilla and spoon the casserole mixture into it. Place in the microwave for five minutes. Remove and top with the remaining onions and shredded cheese. Microwave for one minute more or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 2 10-inch flour tortillas, 1 cup french fried onions
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way.
Say nothing, and listen as heaven whispers, “Do you like it? I did it just for you.”
– Max Lucado