his Tater Tot Casserole recipe is one of those recipes that I had to beg my mother to try. She said it just didn’t sound good. So I made a big batch and showed up at her house. She took one bite and her eyes got big as dollars. “This really is good, what did you say was in it?”. It has become one of her all time favorite meals. I hope you get to try it soon. If there were such a thing as a recipe being too simple, this just might be it. But it’s oooh so good!
- Ground beef (already browned, with onion in it if you like)
- Cream of mushroom soup (can use fat free)
- Frozen tater tots
The full printable recipe is at the bottom of the post.
How to Make A Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Step by Step
Browning Your Beef First
I like to brown my beef ahead of time and keep it in the freezer to make meals like this one a breeze to put together.
Here I am browning my meet with some onions to give it a bit of flavor
I have browned as much as thirty pounds of ground beef in one day and then store it in zipper seal baggies. I generally put about a cup in each bag and then get out one or two bags depending on how much I decide I need. Drain off grease.
Place this in the bottom of your 8×8 baking dish.
Cover in frozen tater tots.
Pour your cream soup in a cup and add about a cup and a half of milk to it.
It will still be lumpy but as long as you put forth the effort to give it a good stir it’ll be fine.
Pour your soup over all of this.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about thirty minutes.
A lot of recipes don’t have you covering it and I used to do mine that way but I’ve found it is even better if you cover it up a bit. If you’d like your tater tots nice and browned, uncover the last ten minutes of cooking.
If you have any leftovers, this taste even better reheated!
Do you make tater tot casserole for your family? I’d love to hear about it!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped, optional
- 1 package frozen tater tots about 1 pound
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup can use fat free
- 1 cup milk
- Brown beef and onion together until done, drain off any grease (I brown my beef ahead of time and store it in the freezer to make this quicker). Place ground beef mixture in bottom of 8x8 baking dish. Top with frozen tater tots. In small bowl stir together cream soup and milk. Pour over tater tots. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for thirty minutes.
You may also like this other tater tot recipes:
And here are some easy casserole recipes:
“Life is just a chance to grow a soul.”
~Powel Davies. Submitted by Carol Prince. Submit your quote by clicking here.