I don’t know what y’all had for supper last night but this easy to make Canyon Casserole is what we had and I barely had to wash the dish when we were done because my brood scraped it clean! Usually, an 8×8 casserole is enough for the four of us, but I’m going to have to double this recipe next time because while my husband and son ate their fill at supper, they both asked me later in the evening if any was left.
I love suppers like that, don’t you? The beauty of this recipe is that it is pretty economical, a meal in one, and packed with a wonderful southwestern flavor. I want to thank my friends at Martha White for letting me share their Canyon Casserole recipe with you. This one came from their website originally (lots of fun recipes there!), but I’ve now adopted it into my personal recipe file. 🙂
While we’re talking about Martha White, how many of y’all are planning on coming to the National Cornbread Festival this year? I’m so excited to have been asked to be a judge again and plan on making it early this time so I have more time to walk around and enjoy all of the great festivities! Food, crafts, fun, and more. This is a big old hometown festival done right and it’s definitely worth the trip! I do hope you’ll join me in South Pittsburg, Tennessee April 27-28, and come hungry!
You’ll need: Milk, Taco Seasoning, Vegetable oil (just a little bit), egg, Self Rising Cornmeal Mix, Diced tomatoes, whole kernel corn, ground beef, and some shredded cheddar cheese.
The cheddar cheese was shy and I hated to make it pose when it didn’t want to so just imagine it there.
Cook ground beef until well done then drain.
Stir in tomatoes in juice, drained corn, taco seasoning, and water.
Stir up really well and cook it over medium high just until nice and bubbly.
Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
Pour meat filling into dish.
Mix up Self Rising Cornmeal, egg, milk, oil, and cheese. Stir until well blended.
Drop by spoonfuls over the top of meat mixture.
Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes.
While this was in the oven, my teenage son came in the kitchen twice to declare
“Something smells good, when is that going to be done?”
“Is it done yet?”
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 ounce pkg taco seasoning
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 14.5 ounce can whole kernel corn drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Martha White Self Rising White Buttermilk Corn Meal Mix can use yellow self rising corn meal mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray an 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown ground beef in large skillet until fully cooked. Drain off any grease. Add in Taco seasoning, water, tomatoes, and corn. Stir and bring just to a boil. Pour into baking dish.
- In small bowl, stir together corn meal mix, milk, egg, oil, and cheese until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto top of meat mixture in baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Enjoy!
This recipe has a few very minor adaptations. Original recipe may be found here.
“The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson