This is one of my son’s all time favorite suppers and I shared it in a Taste of the South’s Southern Plate Suppers issue. I think it must be a teenage boy thing to love chicken fried rice. Brady used to ask us to go get it as takeout for him whenever the hankering hit him until I developed a quick and easy homemade recipe. He now prefers the homemade because I can add more of what he loves – which is why I often double the peas and carrots!
This chicken fried rice recipe is just such a wonderful meal and I really think the brown rice makes it even better. You can, of course, modify it by adding in your favorite veggies, doubling up on ingredients that you like most, and adjusting the seasonings to suit your taste. Leftovers make a great lunch or even freeze well – but there is a trick to having leftovers: you have to double it and hide the other half when everyone sits down to the table!
Can I Use Other Types of Rice?
If you are looking for low carb/low sugar options for this recipe, to decrease amount of carbs/sugar, substituting cauliflower rice instead of brown rice. This is a good option as well.
To make this exactly as I am making it in this tutorial, you’ll need these ingredients:
Vegetable oil, Frozen Peas, Instant Brown Rice, Soy Sauce, Garlic Salt, Eggs, Matchstick Carrots, Chicken, and some green onions.
How to Make Chicken Fried Brown Rice Step by Step Tutorial
Beat your eggs together.
Then place some oil in a large skillet, let it heat up a bit, then scramble them over medium heat.
Once they’re scrambled, scrape them out into a bowl and wipe out your skillet.
In that same skillet, place remaining oil and chicken sprinkled with garlic salt.
Cook this over medium to medium high heat until no longer pink in the center.
Add peas, rice, and soy sauce.
Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, until heated through.
Return eggs to skillet and add carrots, green onions, and remaining soy sauce.
Stir until well combined and then dig in!
- 1 cup instant brown rice or two cups cooked brown rice
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil divided
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt divided
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- To serve: Sesame oil soy sauce, hot sauce, and garlic salt (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Cook eggs, stirring until scrambled. Remove eggs from pan; wipe pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together remaining 3 teaspoons oil, chicken, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, stirring frequently, until chicken is no longer pink in the center, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add sesame oil, cooked rice, and peas to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in eggs, carrots, green onion, soy sauce, and remaining 1?2 teaspoon garlic salt. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve with sesame oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, and garlic salt, if desired (we just serve it as is).
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This makes just enough for 4 people but I've found that it doesn't really cost me more to double the recipe so I usually do!
“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
Submitted by Dianne, click here to submit your own.