Chocolate Sundae Cake originally posted in 2009 and recently updated with fresh photos.. If you enjoy Southern Plate, please help support the site by telling your friends!
This cake is definitely celebration worthy on all counts. The appearance makes you think of red balloons and barbecues but beyond that, the ease of it is stunning. I dreamed this up a years ago when I had company coming and wanted an impressive dessert with ingredients I had on hand. I was hoping they’d like it and the speed with which it disappeared confirmed that they did.
Ingredients you’ll need for this Chocolate Sundae Cake recipe are :
Chocolate Cake mix (regular, dark, devil’s food, etc) and whatever the package calls for to make that.
A large container of whipped topping
A bottle of chocolate syrup
Some cherries (I prefer with stems)
Chopped nuts for the topping.
Of course I’m using the cheap stuff!
~smiles her perky housewife of the 1950’s era smile and looks into the camera with pride~
“Nothing but the cheapest for me and my family!” Hey, ain’t no shame in saving money. In fact, there is a lot of wisdom there!
How To Make A Sundae Chocolate Cake Step By Step
Prepare your cake according to package directions in a 9×13 inch pan.
As soon as you take it out of the oven, poke holes all in the top with a fork.
Until it looks like it has been attacked by a mob of angry chickens.
Now take that bottle of chocolate syrup and pour it over the cake.
Yes, the entire bottle. Saturate that cake. It will soak into the holes and warm cake and…oh my if your mouth isn’t watering now I don’t know what it takes to do it for ya!
Let your cake cool completely and place in the fridge to get it chilled.
Sometimes I speed things up a bit by placing my hot cake in the freezer but let’s keep that between us, alrighty?
Once your cake is cold, spread the entire container of whipped topping over it.
Top with chopped nuts and a cherry and serve cold!
Check out that cross section!
This is so easy, you don’t have any excuse not to make it!
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix, Devil's Food or Dark Chocolate preferred plus ingredients needed to prepare according to pkg directions
- 1 Bottle Hershey's Chocolate syrup (about 22 ounces) Or chocolate syrup of your choice
- 16 ounces whipped topping
- chopped nuts and cherries with stems, for garnishing
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions in a 9x13 pan.
- Once done, remove cake from oven and poke holes all in top with fork while still hot. Pour entire bottle of chocolate syrup over cake. Allow to cool completely.
- Spread whipped topping over entire cake. Refrigerate for several hours. Garnish each slice with chopped nuts and a cherry. Enjoy!
You may also enjoy these cake recipes:
“He has the most who is most content with the least.”
~ Diogenes, an ancient Greek philosopher