This chocolate sundae cake is basically a delectable fudge sundae in cake form, complete with a moist dark chocolate fudge cake, chocolate syrup, whipped cream topping, and a cherry on top.
This chocolate sundae cake is definitely celebration-worthy on all counts. The appearance makes you think of red balloons and barbecues but beyond that, the ease of it is stunning. I dreamed this up years ago when I had company coming and wanted an impressive dessert with ingredients I had on hand. I was hoping they’d like it and the speed with which it disappeared confirmed that they did.
Lucky for me, it was so easy to make! This easy chocolate sundae cake recipe needs minimal ingredients. The first step is to bake the tender and moist dark chocolate fudge cake. Then we poke holes across it and pour over the delicious chocolate syrup, which soaks into the cake and makes it just melt in your mouth. Then the final step is to add the toppings! Because we’re going for a chocolate sundae look, we add whipped topping, chopped nuts, and maraschino cherries, but you can totally add your favorite ice cream toppings.
While we’re talking about chocolate cakes, if you’re looking for something similar to an old-fashioned hot fudge sundae cake that tastes absolutely delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, you must try my chocolate cobbler recipe! It’s basically a pudding-like that’s so easy to make, you’ll love it!
- Chocolate cake mix and required ingredients according to package.
- Whipped cream topping
- Chocolate syrup
- Cherries (I prefer with stems)
- Chopped nuts
How To Make A Sundae Chocolate Cake
In a medium, prepare the by mixing the together with the required wet ingredients (usually eggs and water). Pour the into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish and bake according to package directions.
As soon as you take it out of the oven, poke holes all in the top with a fork.
Until it looks like it has been attacked by a mob of angry chickens.
Now take that bottle of chocolate sauce and pour it over the cake.
Yes, the entire bottle. Saturate that cake. The chocolate fudge sauce will soak into the holes and warm cake and basically replicate
Oh my, if your mouth isn’t watering now I don’t know what it takes to do it for ya!
Let your cake cool completely and place it in the fridge to get it chilled.
Sometimes I speed things up a bit by placing my hot cake in the freezer but let’s keep that between us, alrighty?
Once your cake is cold, spread the entire container of whipping cream topping over it.
Top with chopped nuts and a cherry and serve cold!
Check out that cross-section!
This is so easy, you don’t have any excuse not to make it!
Enjoy your scrumptious chocolate fudge sundae cake!
Store leftover cake in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- As mentioned, you can top the whipping cream with whatever you like, including sprinkles, crushed Oreo cookie crumbs, or a different type of chopped nut.
- You can also use any variety of boxed chocolate cake mix or make a homemade chocolate cake (with ), of course.
You may also enjoy these scrumptious cake recipes:
Chocolate Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Icing
Chocolate Snack Cake With Chocolate Chips
Easy Birthday Cake Recipe From Scratch
- 1 box chocolate cake mix plus required ingredients
- 1 bottle Hershey's chocolate syrup (about 22 ounces)
- 16 ounces whipped topping
- chopped nuts and cherries with stems, for garnishing
- Prepare the cake batter and bake the cake according to the package directions in a 9x13 baking dish.1 box chocolate cake mix
- Once done, remove the cake from the oven and poke holes all over the top with a fork while it's still hot. Pour the entire bottle of chocolate sauce over the cake then allow it to cool completely.1 bottle Hershey's chocolate syrup (about 22 ounces)
- Spread whipped topping over the entire cake and refrigerate for several hours. Garnish each slice with chopped nuts and a cherry. Enjoy!16 ounces whipped topping, chopped nuts and cherries with stems, for garnishing
“He has the most who is most content with the least.”
~ Diogenes, an ancient Greek philosopher
Follow me on Instagram where I share photos from my day and recipes, too!
Can you not add nuts and cherries?
What about use whip cream?
That would be a seamless stand in for cool whip 🙂
Whipped cream on the cake?
What about use whipped topping?
Christy — WOW, this cake looks so rich, gooey and delicious!!! Thanks for sharing !
I hope you get the chance to try it soon!!
Hi Christy – I love all of your recipes but some are difficult for me to make as I live in Ireland and a lot of the ingredients just aren’t available here. Do you think this could be made using whipped cream instead of Cool Whip topping or will the cream dissolve too quickly?