Today Mama is sharing her Chocoholic Cake recipe with us. Sit a spell, visit with Mama, and get a great recipe! We sure are glad you’re here 🙂 ~Christy
A Cake For Special Occasions:
This is one of those cakes that are best saved for special occasions. It is a little more expensive than most cakes to bake but really easy and well worth the money.
Attention Chocolate Lovers
This cake is extra chocolatey with chocolate cake mix, pudding mix, and also chocolate chips. I love the addition of pecans but you could substitute walnuts or leave the nuts out all together. You would never believe that this cake starts with a cake mix. I used Swiss Chocolate cake mix but you could use any chocolate cake mix. That just happened to be the one that jumped out at me at the store.
Am so excited to share this recipe. It keeps our Southern heritage goin’. I hope that you are enjoying sharing in the journey. We have sure enjoy the friendships we have made through Southern Plate. Thank you for taking time from your life to share in ours. We really do appreciate you!
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Chocolate Instant Pudding
- Milk, Sour Cream
- Semi-Sweet Morsels for the cake
- Unsweetened chocolate bar
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
Complete recipe can be found in the printable recipe card further down on the post.
How to Make A Chocoholic Cake Step by Step
Before you get started, spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Combine cake mix, pudding mix, milk, sour cream and eggs in mixer bowl. Beat on low speed until blended and add pecans and chocolate morsels. Stir into batter and pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Now we will make the icing! Over low heat, melt 2 oz. of baking chocolate and butter. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.
This is the chocolate that comes in bars near the chocolate chips and is labeled “Baker’s Chocolate”.
If you’d rather not add this extra fuss to the recipe, you can also just buy a can of pre-made dark chocolate icing and heat that in the microwave for about 45 seconds until it is pourable. 🙂
Back to our icing…
Look at how smooth and delicious this looks already.
Add confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla until thin enough to drizzle over cake.
Doesn’t this look heavenly. Can you tell I’m a chocolate lover?
Just look at this beauty. This is definitely a cake dressed to impress. And it helps that the flavor does not disappoint.
- 1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
- 1 pkg. 3.4 oz chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate baking bar
- 1 and 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 inch bundt pan by spraying with cooking spray or smearing with solid shortening.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, milk, sour cream, and eggs in large mixing bowl.
- Beat on low speed until moistened and then on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes and remove from pan onto cake plate.
- Melt baking bar and butter over low heat in a heavy duty saucepan, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar and milk until thin enough to drizzle over cake.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Drizzle over top of cake.
- *As a shortcut for the icing, use a can of store bought dark chocolate icing. Remove lid and seal and heat in microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until pourable. Stir well and then drizzle over finished cake.
Put “Eat Chocolate” at the top of your to-do list today. That way, at least you’ll get one thing done!
You might also enjoy these chocolate cake recipes: