This is the perfect weekend for easy stuffed baked apples!
Apples are in season so their flavor is at its peak, there is a crispness to the air, and who doesn’t want their house to smell like apples and cinnamon at the first sign of fall? This recipe is simple to make and produces enough to keep a whole family happy. If you end up with any leftover, they reheat well or make a great addition to a hot bowl of oatmeal at breakfast.
To make this, you’ll need: butter, vanilla, brown sugar, all purpose flour, oats, allspice, cinnamon, a little hot water, and 4-5 apples.*
*Great apples for this would be Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Golden Delicious, JonaGold, etc.
To make the filling: Melt butter in a medium sized bowl. Add in brown sugar, vanilla, flour, oats, allspice, and cinnamon.
Stir until well combined.
Note: for exact amounts, see recipe card at bottom of this post.
Slice each apple in half and remove the stems.
Using a spoon, scoop out the core of each apple.
Pour 1/2 cup hot water into the bottom of a 9×13 pan and place the apples inside, with the cut side up.
Sprinkle about a teaspoon of cinnamon over the tops.
Then, stuff each apple half with the filling mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 35 minutes.
Oh My YUM!
Serve on their own or top with a scoop of good quality vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Thank you for being here today.
- 1 stick butter salted or unsalted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar light or dark
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4-5 baking apples*
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon for sprinkling over apples before filling.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, melt butter. Add in brown sugar, flour, oats, allspice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Stir until well combined.
- Slice each apple in half and remove the stems. Using a spoon, scoop out the core of each apple.
- Pour the hot water into the bottom of your 9x13 pan and place the apples inside, with the cut side up. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon. Then, stuff each apple with mixture until all apples are stuffed.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, or on their own.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – the breathe. to think. to enjoy. to love.