This apple snack cake recipe fresh from the orchard includes an unbeatable flavor combination of graham cracker crumbs, fresh apples, nuts, butter, and sugar to make a snack cake unlike any other!
I often find with recipes, as with memories, it is the simple things which satisfy us the most. This apple snack cake recipe is the perfect example of that. This classic snack cake is not too sweet and the simple ingredients make it a breeze to throw together. Add in the full flavor of locally grown apples (preferably from a family orchard trip!) and you can’t go wrong.
This apple coffee cake is perfect for breakfast, with a cup of coffee while visiting friends, or any other time of day. I also think of it as the ideal after-school snack.
The beauty of this recipe, which gives it a remarkably satisfying texture, is that instead of flour you use graham cracker crumbs. Combine that flavor with sugar, melted butter, chopped apples, and nuts and you have a snack cake unlike any other. When you do try it please, share a photo with me on Instagram (@southernplate) or you can email it to me, too!
- Graham crackers
- Pecans or walnuts (optional)
The recipe also calls for pecans or walnuts, which I highly recommend. However, I do leave them out sometimes as certain people in my house have voiced their objection to having “those nut things” in their snack cake.
How to Make an Easy Apple Snack Cake
First, melt and slightly cool the butter, before pouring it into a medium bowl.
Add the sugar and then the eggs.
Add in graham cracker crumbs then stir the ingredients together.
Stir in chopped apples and nuts, if using.
Behold! Our beautiful apple snack cake batter.
Pour this into a greased 8×8 baking dish.
I usually use cooking spray but if you want to be fancy you can use parchment paper.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown all over top.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
Allow it to cool in the pan before cutting it into bars.
Oh my goodness! This apple snacking cake is just ridiculously delicious and makes the prettiest apple studded bars.
I’m telling you, if you can’t imagine what a snack cake is like when you replace the flour with graham crumbs, you need to understand that it is half a step away from Heaven.
Store leftovers, covered, at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze cake slices for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
- If you like, you can substitute the nuts for chopped dates.
- Want to add some spices for that quintessential fall flavor? Toss your diced apples in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of ginger or nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon of cloves or allspice. Use the spice combination that works for you. You can also just use 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice.
- Great baking apples include Gala, Pink Lady, McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, and Granny Smith apples.
- While this apple cake is great served on its own, you can also serve it with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
- Another option is to top the apple cake with a simple maple glaze. Just combine 1/4 cup of confectioner’s sugar with 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and drizzle this over the cake.
- For more fall flavor, substitute the white sugar for brown sugar or use a combination of both.
You might also enjoy these appetizing apple recipes:
- 1/2 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 to 3 apples (any variety) peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Blend the sugar, butter, and eggs in a medium bowl with a spoon.1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs
- Stir in the graham cracker crumbs, apples, and walnuts until blended.2 cup graham cracker crumbs, 2 to 3 apples (any variety), 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Spread batter into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Sprinkle liberally with confectioner’s sugar.
- Cool and then cut into squares.