How To Make Apple Snack Cake
Apple snack cake from the orchard combines the flavor of graham cracker crumbs, fresh apples, butter, and sugar for a snack cake unlike any other!
Apple Pickin’ Memories
We have a tradition each year which has held since I was old enough to remember. My entire family piles in the car and we drive to Toney, Alabama to pay a visit to Scott’s Orchard. As a child, I remember riding back home in the back of the truck, munching on all varieties of fresh apples and trying to guess what Mama would bake first with our bounty. She would buy several baskets of different varieties and once we got home, my mother would get to cooking. Each day, it seemed, there was a new apple dish waiting on us when we came in from school. We relished each and every one.
The year my son was born, we took him to Scott’s Orchard, even though he was only two months old at the time! We’ve held up this tradition just about every year and I really enjoy taking family photos to see how the kids have grown. Of course, over the years these photos have started to show how Ricky and I have grown, too! Funny how that happens. The focus of the passing of time slowly moves from the kids growing up to us growing older. All in all, the pictures show blessings unfolding in each generation.
Simplicity at It’s Finest: Apple Snack Cake
I often find with recipes, as with memories, it is the simple things which satisfy us the most. This recipe is the perfect example of that. A classic snack cake that is not too sweet, the simple ingredients make it a breeze to throw together. Add in the full flavor of locally grown apples (preferably from a family orchard trip!) and you can’t go wrong. It is perfect for breakfast, with a cup of coffee while visiting friends, or any other time of day. I also think of it as the ideal after school snack.
The beauty of this recipe that gives it a remarkably satisfying texture, is that instead of flour, you use graham cracker crumbs. Combine that flavor with sugar, melted butter, chopped apples, and nuts and you have a snack cake unlike any other. When you do try it please, share a photo with me on Instagram (@southernplate) or you can email it to me, too!
Apple Snack Cake Ingredients
- Graham crackers
- Pecans or Walnuts (optional)
The recipe also calls for pecans or walnuts, which I highly recommend. However, I do leave them out sometimes as certain people in my house have voiced their objection to having “those nut things” in their snack cake.
- Melt and slightly cool butter
- Pour into medium sized mixing bowl
- Add sugar and then eggs.
- Add in graham cracker crumbs. Stir all of this up.
- Stir in chopped apples.
- Stir in nuts, if using.
Behold! Our beautiful apple snack cake batter.
- Pour this into a greased 8×8 baking dish. I usually use cooking spray but if you want to be fancy 😉 you can use parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned all over top.
- Remove from oven
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
- Allow to cool in the pan before cutting into bars.
- 1/2 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 to 3 apples (any variety) peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Blend sugar, butter, and eggs in bowl with a spoon.
- Stir in graham cracker crumbs, apples, and walnuts until blended.
- Spread batter into greased 8×8 pan.
- Bake at 350 for forty to forty five minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Sprinkle liberally with confectioner’s sugar.
- Cool and then cut into squares.