Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe
Enjoy this delicious mouth watering Caramel Apple Dump Cake and scroll down to find out where the “dump” comes from.
I’m a caramel person, always have been, always will be. When I was a little girl I’d save my pennies and walk to the store around the corner from our house where I’d buy penny caramels. This was back in the early seventies when six year olds could walk to a candy store by themselves and no one thought twice about it. I’d count out a caramel for each penny I had, saving a few pennies for tax, then come home with my little brown paper bag of penny caramels and hide them under my blue jeans in the drawer because I was convinced that everyone loved them as much as I did (they didn’t). Then, I’d ration them out to one a day, all the while saving up more pennies for when my stock ran low.
Nowadays, I have a whole grocery budget and a wonderful Fall Baking season to bring my love of caramel into play! This dump cake brings in the thrill of apples and a flavorful butter topped cake for a perfect dessert.
But before we get to the recipe first let’s answer the age old question…
What is dump cake?
When I share the caramel apple dump cake recipe, I get this question a lot.
Dump cake simply means a cake where you ‘dump’ the ingredients in the pan and bake it! Yep that’s it.
If you find yourself needing a caramel fix, here ya go!
The ingredients for this one are easy peasy: Butter cake mix (We’re using golden butter but you can use whatever you like), two cans apple pie filling, cinnamon (and some allspice if you like), and Kraft Caramel Baking Bits is what I used.
- Begin by mixing up your cake mix according to package directions.
- ‘Dump’ both cans of apples into a bowl and add spices.
- Stir to coat and place in bottom of 3 quart baking dish (or 9×13 cake pan). Sprinkle caramel bits on top.
- Now pour that prepared cake mix on top of this.
Can I use a different cake mix for my caramel apple dump cake?
Absolutely! Yellow cake mix is what I use but others have recommended spiced cake mix, or vanilla cake mix. But choose whatever your heart desires.
- Slice an entire stick of butter into pats and arrange over top of mix. Sprinkle with a wee bit more cinnamon, if you like. Or add a bit of nutmeg to spice things up.
By now some of you are starting to think that this is probably not one of my diet recipes….you catch on quick. But it sure is good! 😉
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream and caramel sauce to take it over the top!
There you have it, the best caramel apple dump cake that will ever cross your lips 🙂 Enjoy!
- 2 20 oz cans of apple pie filling 21 oz each
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon If you are using a spice cake mix might want to decrease the cinnamon a bit.
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 cup or a good handful Kraft caramel bits - can use more if you like!
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (or any cake mix you prefer) prepared
- 1 stick of butter
- Optional: Vanilla Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce
- Optional: Nutmeg (adds a little more spice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together apple pie filling, allspice and cinnamon.
- Spoon into a greased 3 quart baking dish or a 9x13 cake pan.
- Top with caramel bits and then yellow cake mix. Smooth until it covers the caramels evenly.
- Cut butter into slices and cover the entire yellow cake mix. Don't be afraid to use more!
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce!
Looking for another caramel apple cake treat?
And just in case you want some more apple recipe desserts, here you go…