Today’s post is for an absolutely delicious Frozen Turtle Pie. I know it sounds decadent (and it is) but the beauty of it is that you can actually make it significantly lower in sugar with just a few substitutions.
Since we’re all hungry on Pie Day Fridays (because I just declared we were) I’ll keep this short and sweet and hop right to it!
Get your aprons on and fire up those mixers because HERE WE GO!
Let’s make Frozen Turtle Pie!
You’ll need: Caramel Topping, Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding (small box), Whipped Topping, Milk, Pecans, and Magic Shell.
You can get whatever caramel topping you prefer but let me tell ya, if y’all have an Aldi near you, that is where I got this jar and it is by far the absolute best I’ve ever tasted. I keep a jar of it in the fridge for caramel emergencies, which usually involve a spoonful from time to time. You know, just to keep my blood sugar regulated ~winks~
And you’ll need one of these.
This is a Chocolate Pie Crust.
Because that’s how I roll...
So we take our milk and pour it into a mixing bowl and dump in our pudding mix…
Then we make like Michael Jackson and just beat it.
Then we dump in that tub of cool whip.
Lighten It Up! Did you notice I used “Lite” in this? Sure, the caramel has a lot of sugar in it but we can still use sugar free pudding and light cool whip. It will still have sugar but it will have a whole lot less.
Little things make a difference, especially over time and this Frozen Turtle Pie is no less decadent because of it!
We then have a nice creamy pudding but the beauty of this is, after you freeze it, it tastes just like chocolate ice cream.
Pour about a cup of that luscious caramel into your chocolate pie crust.
Then tilt it a bit until the caramel covers the bottom.
Sprinkle pecans all over that.
Spoon all of the pudding mixture over it. It will be very full.
Now Cover it and freeze.
See the handy thing about using a store bought crust for this is that great little cover!
When you’re ready to serve, remove from freezer and squirt a border of frozen whipped cream around the edges.
ZigZag some Magic Shell over it and place that in the freezer for about five minutes, uncovered, just to solidify the magic shell over the whipped cream part.
Stick some pecans around the border if you like.
Ain’t it purty?
Serve this delicious Frozen Turtle Pie to your favorite people or just keep it stored in the freezer and ration it out a piece at a time, to yourself!
- Small box instant chocolate pudding can use sugar free - 4 serving size
- 1 +1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounce container whipped topping Can use light
- 1 cup caramel
- 6 ounce chocolate pie crust
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Chocolate Magic Shell
- squirt whipped cream canned, for garnish
- pecan halves to garnish
- In large mixing bowl, place instant pudding and milk. Beat well, scraping down sides as needed, until pudding is dissolved, about two minutes. Add in whipped topping and mix until well blended, about a minute.
- Spread caramel in the bottom of pie crust. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Spoon Chocolate Pudding mixture over. Cover and place in freezer until firm.
- Before serving,squirt a border of canned whipped topping around the edges. Drizzle a zig zag pattern of magic shell over the entire top of the pie and place in freezer, uncovered, for five minute to help set.
- Press pecans into the border for decoration, if desired. Allow to sit out for five to ten minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
You may also like these other Turtle Dessert recipes:
WHAT YOU ARE TO BE —YOU ARE NOW BECOMING.
~Unknown. Submitted by Tom Crews