This easy and delicious Pesto Chicken Pasta is sure to become a family favorite!
Twenty years ago, when I was a newlywed and had my very own kitchen for the first time, I spent a great deal of time trying out new recipes to find new things that Ricky liked. One of my most successful finds in this area was a little paperback cookbook brochure up at the checkout counter. Just about every recipe I tried became a favorite. I tweaked them a bit to fit our own tastes and then passed them on for Mama to try. When they got rave reviews from both of us, I knew I had a winner.
This Pesto Chicken and Pasta is one of those recipes. The original version was a bit more complicated but things tend to get streamlined and simplified in my kitchen, I don’t have time for fussy dishes, and the easy version of this has been a favorite for two decades.
This recipe uses items I generally have on hand. Sometimes I have to go buy the Pesto sauce but that is about it.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1.5 pounds chicken tenders
- Petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- Crushed tomatoes (undrained)
- Pesto sauce, minced garlic,
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- You’ll also need some pasta of your choice (my daughter loves bowties) and a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese if you’d like, but that is totally optional.
Low Carb Tip
If you’d like to keep this on the lower carb side, just use zero carb pasta or have this dish without any pasta at all, the chicken and sauce are enough on their own to satisfy.
What Is Actually In Pesto?
I dearly love Pesto. I usually pick up a jar at Aldi. If you’ve never bought it before it is basically basil, garlic, cheeses, and some olive oil. You can find it near the spaghetti sauce at pretty much any grocery. As far as flavor goes, it packs a delicious punch!
Recipe instructions and specific ingredients are in the recipe card a bit further down.
How To Make Chicken Pesto Pasta Step by Step
If you used boneless skinless chicken breasts
Slice them after you are done cooking them. The reason being that this makes the serving sizes more balanced for my family. Not everyone eats an entire chicken breast at one meal so slicing it up makes it easier for me to portion out. You don’t have to do this unless you just want to.
Ooh goodness gracious! Look at that delicious sauce covering up all the wonderful chicken!
Enjoy your fresh and flavorful family pleasing meal of Pesto Chicken & Pasta!
- Olive Oil
- 3-4 chicken breasts boneless skinless (thin) or 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 can 14 oz petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 14 oz crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- Tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cooked pasta of your choice for serving
- Few tablespoons grated parmesan cheese optional
- In large skillet place 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until browned on both sides, flipping as needed. Chicken does not have to be done in the center.
- Add both cans of tomatoes with juice, pesto sauce, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir together and reduce heat to medium low, cooking until chicken is no longer pink in the center and sauce is heated through.
- Spoon chicken and sauce over fresh cooked pasta. Garnish with parmesan if you'd like. Enjoy!
You may also enjoy these pasta recipes:
Next time your tempted to fight fire with fire remember, the fire department uses water.