How to Make Oven Baked Mac and Cheese
Its just about a requirement that all Americans love macaroni and cheese in some form and at some time in their lives, I’m no different. Growing up, my mother made a creamy homemade mac and cheese with a sauce that was smooth as silk and permeated every particle of perfectly cooked macaroni. It was my brother’s favorite so she usually made it every Sunday.
Growing up with Macaroni and Cheese: A Favorite
As a teen, we all became well acquainted with the boxed stuff, thrilling over the marvel and convenience of the powdery sauce which combined with milk to deliver the ideal after school snack for three busy young people on the go.
After I had my own kids, however, I quickly learned why my mother seldom ate Mac and Cheese. My kids loved it so much that I got burned out just from stirring those countless pots of pasta.
Oven Baked Mac and Cheese recipe was born
Then a few years ago I realized something – I missed my mac and cheese. I needed to reacquaint myself with it. While my mother’s mac and cheese is to die for, I longed for a stringy, cheesy, casserole, version in my adult years. Something as far from the boxed stuff as I could get without introducing things my children would consider “weird”.
- Cheddar cheese
- Plain flour
- Macaroni pasta
- Butter Milk
- 2 + 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 2 + 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 + 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste I use about a teaspoon
- 4 Tablespoons butter cut into thin slices
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese mild or sharp, your preference
- 1 cup whole milk
- Cook pasta until tender, drain.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, set aside.
- Spray oven safe bowl or dish with cooking spray. Place half of macaroni inside. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over top and top with half of the butter slices. Sprinkle 1+1/2 cups cheese over. Repeat.
- Pour milk over all.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for thirty five minutes. Remove foil, bake an additional ten minutes. Serve hot.