This simple but deliciously rice pilaf recipe involves just three ingredients: long grain rice, the aforementioned vegetable soup mix, and chicken bouillon cubes. The end result? Oh my goodness, we love it and I was right about the flavor. My only complaint from the kids was that I didn’t make enough, so next time I’ll be doubling this recipe so we can have some for later.
Ingredients Needed To Make Rice Pilaf
- Dry rice (we’re using )
- A packet of vegetable soup mix
- A few chicken bouillon cubes
You can use chicken broth in place of the cubes if you like but I prefer bouillon cubes for budget reasons.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Place all of the ingredients (plus water) in a small saucepot.
Bring this to a boil over , stirring every now and then. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
Stir in some fresh or dried parsley if you would like or you can skip this step entirely if you’d rather.
Fluff it up a bit and enjoy!
It tastes delicious served with green beans and roast chicken!
How To Store Rice Pilaf
Store cooled rice pilaf leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat leftovers in the microwave.
Commonly Asked Questions
What types of rice can be used in this side dish recipe?
You have a variety of options to choose from: white rice, brown rice, jasmine rice, basmati rice, wild rice, or a wild rice blend.
How can you make this rice pilaf vegetarian?
To keep it vegetarian, substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Can I add vegetables to the rice pilaf?
Yes, you can enhance it with vegetables like caramelized onion (cooked with minced garlic), peas, diced carrot, chopped pepper, chopped celery, or sautéed mushrooms. Be sure to cook these separately in butter or olive oil on the stovetop before adding them to the rice pilaf. Alternatively, cook them in the same saucepot before adding the rice and broth.
Are there any herbs or spices that can be added for flavor?
Certainly! You can add a pinch of saffron, parsley, paprika, ground turmeric, cayenne pepper, or ground coriander.
What are some toppings to enhance the rice pilaf?
You can elevate the dish by adding dried fruit or nuts. Consider using raisins or chopped dried apricots for the fruit, and walnuts, pine nuts, or sliced almonds for the nuts. If there’s a nut allergy, sunflower seeds or pepitas can be a suitable substitute.
Are there any garnishes that can be added to the finished dish?
Yes, you can sprinkle some green onions or fresh parsley on top for an extra burst of flavor.
You may also enjoy these sensational rice dishes:
- Cheesy Chicken And Rice (Crock Pot Version)
- Chicken With Fried Rice
- Hot Buttered Sweet Rice
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Chicken Teriyaki with Brown Rice
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken & Rice
- 1 packet vegetable soup mix I used Knorr 1 ounce pkg
- 3-4 chicken bouillon cubes plus 3 cups of water*
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice not instant
- Place all of the ingredients in a small saucepot and stir.1 packet vegetable soup mix, 3-4 chicken bouillon cubes plus 3 cups of water*, 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- Bring just to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
*3 cups of chicken broth may be substituted for the chicken bouillon cubes and water