Creamy and delicious Ambrosia Salad is one of those classic dishes that shows up at just about all Southern gatherings and holidays.
With spring upon us and Easter coming up, Southern tastebuds are turning to fruit and salads!
Today I’m sharing with you our recipe for Ambrosia, which is a classic Southern fruit salad. There are many different ways of making this but we like to be flexible and use a mix of fresh and canned fruit to make this a convenient salad to whip up anytime of year.
This Ambrosia salad is so creamy and delicious! I hope you get to try it soon.
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks drained and juice reserved
- large apple peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 15 ounce can fruit cocktail drained
- 2-15 ounce cans mandarin oranges drained
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut unsweetened, but sweetened works too
- Place the pineapple juice in a small bowl and add in the chopped apple. Stir to coat and set aside.
- Place the sugar and sour cream together in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Drain the apples (discard juice) and add them and all other ingredients to the sour cream mixture.
- Stir well to combine. Cover, and refrigerate several hours before serving.