What do you get when you combine tender chicken and fresh broccoli in a creamy pimento cheese sauce? This utterly delicious chicken broccoli skillet recipe.
Imagine broccoli with a nice, thick, cheese sauce. Now add in tender chunks of chicken. Now take that cheese sauce and transform it to a more flavorful version – made with pimiento cheese. Seriously. It is broccoli nirvana! I could eat this cheesy chicken broccoli skillet morning, noon, and night for weeks and still be happy. What’s more impressive is that my husband (Mr. Picky Eater) likes it, too!
This is a good, old-fashioned comfort food main dish made in a skillet but it naturally fits into a low carb way of eating as well. We can all enjoy this dish, though, if you’re traveling the low-carb road with me right now or on a different road entirely.
If that’s not enough to convince you to give this chicken broccoli skillet recipe a go, you should also know it’s so easy to make (ready in 30 minutes) and only uses 5 ingredients. There’s the chicken, broccoli, pimento cheese, and cream and butter to make the sauce extra nice and tasty.
Now, I do have to hurry up and write this post, though, because staring at this is making me want to cook it again for dinner tonight so I’ve got to go get some more Price’s…
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Raw broccoli (frozen will work)
- Heavy cream (can use half and half or milk)
- Pimiento cheese
To begin with, melt your butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add your chicken and cook, stirring often, until brown and done on the inside.
Add your broccoli to the skillet with the and continue cooking, stirring often, for about five minutes.
After this, reduce heat to low and cover. Let this cook on its own for about 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
Like this :).
Remove the and to a bowl so you can make your cheese sauce in the same skillet.
Place the entire tub of pimiento cheese and heavy cream in the skillet.
Increase heat to medium-low.
Stir this constantly until it is melted and smooth. This will only take a few minutes.
Add chicken and broccoli back to skillet and spoon sauce over, or spoon sauce over chicken and broccoli in a large serving bowl.
If you are a cheesy broccoli lover, get ready to meet your soul mate in this dish!
P.S. You might want to make double 🙂
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave before eating. I don’t recommend freezing the cream sauce.
- While this is a chicken broccoli skillet, you can always change things up and substitute the broccoli for another vegetable (or use a combination). Other options include green beans, asparagus, cauliflower, carrot, celery, bell pepper, Brussel sprouts, and zucchini.
- Feel free to use boneless chicken thighs or even boneless pork chops instead of boneless skinless chicken breast.
- You can use either fresh broccoli or frozen broccoli florets in this recipe. If using frozen, just thaw them first and pat dry on a paper towel before adding to the skillet.
- If you’d like to add a bit more flavor to the chicken breast, toss the diced pieces in 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, plus salt and pepper.
What do you serve with this cheesy chicken broccoli skillet?
Here are some other easy skillet meal recipes:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2-4 cups fresh broccoli florets can use frozen broccoli
- 11 ounces pimento cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half can use milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Place the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just melted. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is brown and no longer pink in the center.1/4 cup butter, 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Add the broccoli and continue cooking, stirring often, for about five minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to cook for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.2-4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Remove broccoli and chicken to a large bowl and set aside. Place the pimiento cheese and cream in the skillet. Increase temperature to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted, smooth, and a nice sauce is formed. This will just take a few minutes.11 ounces pimento cheese, 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Return the chicken and broccoli to the skillet and stir to coat or pour cheese sauce over chicken and broccoli in the serving bowl.
“The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.”