Made with a chocolate cake mix with chocolate chips, chocolate instant pudding mix, and chocolate icing on top, this fudgy triple chocolate cake recipe is moist, rich, and a must-try dessert for chocoholics.
Known in my family as Chocoholic Cake, this is one of those rich and decadent cake recipes that are best saved for special occasions. It is a little more expensive than most cakes to bake but really easy and well worth the money.
As the name suggests, this deliciously moist triple chocolate cake recipe is extra chocolatey. It includes a Swiss chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, and also chocolate chips. But wait, there’s more. I top the cake with chocolate icing as well, to make it extra sweet and indulgent. Now, I love the addition of pecans, but you could substitute walnuts or leave the nuts out altogether. You would never believe that this cake starts with a cake mix. I use a Swiss chocolate cake mix but you could use any chocolate cake mix. That just happened to be the one that jumped out at me at the store.
As I said, this Chocoholic Cake is super easy to make. Just mix all of the cake ingredients together, bake them in the oven, and then prepare the chocolate icing to drizzle on top. Chocolate lovers won’t be able to get enough of this cake. It’s moist, fudgy yet light, and destined to just melt in your mouth.
I am so excited to share this triple chocolate cake recipe. It keeps our Southern heritage goin’.
Triple Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate cake mix
- Chocolate instant pudding mix
- Sour cream
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Unsweetened chocolate bar
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make My Family’s Chocoholic Cake
Before you get started, spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and set it aside.
Next, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, sour cream, and eggs in a medium bowl. Beat on low speed until blended and then fold in the pecans and chocolate chip packet.
Stir them into the cake batter and then pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan.
Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Now we will make the !
Over low heat, melt the baking chocolate and butter. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.
Look at how smooth and delicious this looks already.
Add the confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla until thin enough to drizzle over the triple chocolate cake.
Doesn’t this look heavenly? Can you tell I’m a chocolate lover?
Just look at this beauty of a Chocoholic Cake. This is definitely a cake dressed to impress. And it helps that the flavor does not disappoint.
Cover leftover cake tightly in or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- For the chocolate frosting, I use a baking chocolate bar, which is found near the chocolate chips in grocery stores and is labeled “Baker’s Chocolate”.
- If you’d rather not add this extra fuss to this chocolate cake recipe, you can also just buy a can of pre-made dark chocolate icing. Remove the lid and seal and heat that in the microwave for about 45 seconds until it is pourable. Stir well and then drizzle over the finished cake.
- Alternatively, it would taste absolutely incredible with our creamy chocolate buttercream frosting too. If you choose this option, you can make a triple chocolate layer cake and split the cake batter between two cake pans. Then add a layer of chocolate frosting to the top and middle. The cooking time will probably be 20 to 25 minutes instead.
- Another option is to forgo the icing altogether and simply dust your triple chocolate cake with powdered sugar. Then you can serve it with whipped cream and fresh strawberries or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.
- As mentioned, you can use any chocolate cake mix in this recipe. Devil’s Food chocolate cake mix is another perfect option.
You might also enjoy these chocolate cake recipes:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 packet chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate baking bar
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Triple Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-inch bundt pan by spraying with cooking spray or smearing with solid shortening.
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, sour cream, and eggs in a large bowl. Beat on low speed using a stand mixer or electric mixer until moistened and then on high speed for 2 minutes.1 box chocolate cake mix, 1 packet chocolate instant pudding mix, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, 4 large eggs
- Stir in chocolate chip packet and nuts, then pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt cake pan.2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped nuts
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the bundt cake pan for 15 minutes and then remove from the pan and place on a cake plate.
- Melt the chocolate bar and butter over low heat in a heavy-duty saucepan, stirring until smooth.2 oz. unsweetened chocolate baking bar, 3 tablespoons butter
- Remove from the heat and then stir in the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until thin enough to drizzle over the top of the cooled cake.1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 2 to 3 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Put “Eat Chocolate” at the top of your to-do list today. That way, at least you’ll get one thing done!
~Anonusing a or electric mixer