You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for a quick and easy pumpkin pie recipe. With flavorful spices and scrumptious pumpkin puree in a homemade pie crust, this rich and creamy pumpkin pie from scratch will win everyone over these holidays.
When it comes to the holidays, you want a dessert that’s quick to make but tastes great, right? Well then, my easy pumpkin pie recipe for you. It uses many ingredients I bet you already have at home, like eggs, brown sugar, milk, and spices. When combined with canned pumpkin puree and heavy cream, these ingredients make a classic pumpkin pie that’s rich, smooth, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
Now, with this recipe, you have the option of making your entire pumpkin pie from scratch with our mix in the pan homemade pie crust. However, it tastes just as good with store-bought pie crust, I promise. While it takes a few minutes to whisk together the pumpkin pie filling and about an hour to bake the pie, you can easily make this pie up to two days in advance. There is nothing better than make ahead recipes on the holidays.
I also have to let you in on my secret ingredient… ground black pepper! I was skeptical when I saw this in another recipe, but my oh my, it really adds the right flavor to make this a perfectly spiced homemade pumpkin pie.
On the hunt for more Thanksgiving desserts? Check out my easy and delicious apple crisp, faux pecan pie, loaded sweet potatoes with marshmallows, vegan sweet potato cake with maple cashew icing, and this decadent chocolate pecan pie.
- Store-bought or use our homemade pie crust recipe
- 15oz can (about 2 cups) pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream (here’s how to make homemade whipped cream)
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind you like)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
For the pumpkin pie filling: Whisk the pumpkin, 3 eggs, and brown sugar together until combined.
Add the cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, cream, and milk to the .
Vigorously whisk until everything is combined.
Pour pumpkin pie filling into the warm pre-baked pie crust in a deep-dish pie pan.
Fill it about 75%. You will probably have extra filling so if you like, make some mini pumpkin pies.
Bake the pie until the center is almost set, about 55-60 minutes give or take. A small part of the center will be wobbly – that is normal. After 25 minutes of baking, be sure to cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil to prevent the edges from browning too much or burning. Check at 50 min, then every 5 minutes or so.
Once done, transfer the pie to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely for at least 3 hours. Decorate with sugared cranberries and homemade whipped cream. YUM! I also love serving pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Store pie leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also store leftovers in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Once thawed, you can eat your pie cool, warm in the microwave, or briefly reheat in the oven.
- If you want to make every part of this pumpkin pie from scratch, you can also make homemade pumpkin puree. Cut a medium baking or sugar pumpkin in half and scrape out the seeds. Then place them cut side down on a lined baking sheet and bake in a 350-degree oven for about one to 1.5 hours, or until a fork can easily pierce the skin. Once cooled, scoop out the pulp and puree with an immersion blender.
- To make this easy pumpkin pie recipe even easier, substitute the spices for 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead. You will still need to add the cinnamon as well though.
Can this pumpkin pie be made in advance?
Yes, you can definitely make pumpkin pie ahead of time. Loosely wrap the pie and refrigerate for up to two days before baking using the instructions in the recipe card.
How do you know when pumpkin pie is done cooking?
The pumpkin pie is done when you insert a knife tip in the middle and it comes out wet but relatively clean. The pie’s center should have a barely-there wiggle to it.
Is it better to use fresh or canned pumpkin in a pumpkin pie?
Both fresh and canned pumpkin puree offer different flavors to a pumpkin pie. However, most people will tell you that using canned pumpkin puree is the best option, as it’s creamier, silkier, and sweeter than .
Can I use canned pumpkin pie filling in this recipe?
Canned pumpkin pie filling is actually already sweetened with spices, so for this recipe, I recommend only using canned pumpkin puree.
Here are more of my favorite pumpkin desserts:
- Store-bought pie crust or homemade
- 1 can pumpkin puree should be 2 cups
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk I have used almond and 2% both were good so use any that you like
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the pumpkin pie filling: Mix the pumpkin, 3 eggs, and brown sugar together until combined. Add the cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, cream, and milk. Vigorously mix it all up.1 can pumpkin puree, 3 large eggs, 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup milk
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the warm pre-baked pie crust. Fill the crust up to about 3/4 full. There will probably be a little extra.Store-bought pie crust
- Bake the pie until the center is almost set, about 55-60 minutes give or take. A small part of the center will be wobbly – that’s ok. After 25 minutes of baking, be sure to cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil to prevent the edges from browning too much or burning. Check at 50 min, and then 55, and then 60, etc.
- Once done, transfer the pie to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely for at least 3 hours. Decorate with sugared cranberries and whipped cream. YUM!