When I came across this recipe for Italian Cookies I knew I had to make it myself and then share it with you after a few little tweaks. With so many wonderful cookies already in my recipe arsenal, I’m always looking for other recipes for you to try.
These Italian cookies are pillowy soft, lightly sweet cookies are a new holiday favorite at my house!
Decorate Any Way You Like
A bit of vanilla icing on top is the perfect touch to make these a welcome addition to heavy sweet selections like fudge and such. I decorated them with beautiful blue, white, and silver sprinkles but you can use sprinkles to match most any occasion.
Ingredients for this Italian Cookies recipe are:
- Sugar or Swerve
- All Purpose Flour
- Ricotta Cheese
- Baking Soda
- A can of vanilla frosting (store bought)
- You’ll also want some sprinkles for decorating.
How to Make This Italian Cookies Recipe Pictorial
Place eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended. Add ricotta cheese and beat again until incorporated. Add in flour, baking soda, and salt and beat again until incorporated. Scoop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet and bake at 350 for about ten minutes, or until just lightly browned around the edges.
Allow to cool completely. To make icing easier, take off the lid and foil inner lid of a container of store bought vanilla frosting and microwave it for about 30 seconds. Stir. Gently spread a bit of frosting on each one and sprinkle a few colorful sprinkles on top before icing dries.
I dearly love these little gems and will be taking them to our family Thanksgiving next week.
My husband, Ricky, has asked if we can just make these on Christmas Eve instead of our traditional – much sweeter- cookies.
I guess you could say they are a hit!
I hope you get to make some for the special people in your life soon. If you’re blessed enough, maybe the special people will make them for you!
- 1 cup butter salted or unsalted- at room temp
- 2 cups sugar or Swerve
- 3 eggs
- 2 heaping teaspoons vanilla
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 container store bought vanilla frosting
- colorful sprinkles
- In large mixing bowl, place butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well with electric mixer until fully combined. Add Ricotta and mix again until incorporated.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Beat again until fully incorporated and a dough is formed. Dough will be soft and sticky.
- Using a cooke dough scoop or two spoons, drop by tablespoonfulls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for about ten minutes, or until lightly browned around bottom edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Remove lid and foil seal from can of frosting and microwave for about thirty seconds. Stir. Gently spread a little icing on top of each cookie and sprinkle with sprinkles of choice before icing sets.
You may also enjoy these other cookies recipes:
Nothing is better than going home to family and eating good food and relaxing.