You only need 4 ingredients to make this deliciously creamy and easy slow cooker chicken and rice recipe.
Have you ever eaten something that just made your stomach happy? Well, this slow cooker chicken and rice recipe makes my stomach about as happy as a pig in slop! It’s just so good. It’s incredibly easy, too, and perfect for folks who head off to busy days and want a good supper waiting on them when they get home.
The ingredients are simple, the recipe is easy, and the results are good. I reckon that just about says it all.
Now, I hope you didn’t skip over the part where I said you only 4 ingredients to make this slow cooker supper: chicken, onion, wild rice, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. The steps are about as easy as they come… dump the ingredients in your crockpot, go about your day, add the rice just before serving and that’s it. Dinner is served!
I’m such a fan of recipes like this and I hope you like slow cooker chicken and rice as much as my family does. Let’s get (slow) cookin’! Plus, keep scrolling for more ridiculously easy slow cooker recipes that make the best busy weeknight suppers.
- Chicken breasts
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Onion (I’m using a Vidalia onion)
- Box of long grain and wild rice with seasonings
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker and sprinkle your chopped onion over them.
Oh, I forgot to tell you to chop your onion, so I’m telling you to do that now. On second thought, I’m asking nicely :).
Cover that with your cream of mushroom soup mixture.
Slow cook that on low for 7 – 8 hours.
Then, just before serving, make your uncooked rice according to the package directions.
You can also make this rice the night before and put it in the fridge.
Before serving, stir your cooked rice into the slow cooker.
OH MY YUM!
This recipe is so stinking good!
- Store crock and leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave.
- You can also freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating in the microwave.
- You can use bone-in or skinless boneless chicken breasts. If you find yourself a little low on chicken, cut each skinless chicken breast into three strips. That way just three chicken breasts will yield nine pieces of chicken, more than enough for four people. Remember, in the good old days folks could stretch the scrawniest chicken to feed a family of ten!
- In a pinch, substitute the for .
- I am using Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice here and I haven’t seen a generic for it that has the seasoning packet. So I stick with the name brand on this one because that seasoning packet seasons this dish to perfection and makes it just taste sooooooo good! This is also why I don’t recommend using plain white rice or brown rice, as we want that seasoning packet!
- If you prefer to cook on high, halve the cooking time.
- As mentioned, you can cook the rice the night before and place it in the refrigerator. Before serving, stir the cold rice into the slow cooker and let it cook for another 10 minutes or until the rice is heated through.
- Substitute the cream of for cream of if you prefer.
Can I cook raw chicken in the slow cooker?
Absolutely! Place the raw chicken breasts in the slow cooker and in 8 hours they’ll be perfectly cooked and so tender. You just can’t place raw and frozen chicken breast or chicken thigh in the slow cooker, as it needs time to thaw first.
Can I cook rice in the slow cooker?
For this recipe, it’s best to cook the rice according to the package directions outside of the slow cooker and then combine it with the chicken at the end before serving.
What do you serve with slow cooker chicken and rice?
While this is a great main dish as is, serve your crockpot chicken and rice with your favorite vegetable side dish or salad, like zucchini and squash, summer corn salad, tomatoes and okra, or fresh green beans.
Another option is to stir some vegetables into the crock pot in the last hour of cooking, like chopped mushrooms to complement the soup, diced zucchini, or frozen peas and carrots.
Check out these other slow cooker chicken suppers:
- 4 chicken breasts can use fewer and bone-in or boneless
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 box Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice with seasonings
- Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle chopped onion over the top and then add the cream of mushroom soup mixture. Cover and slow cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.4 chicken breasts, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 medium chopped onion
- Cook rice according to package directions*. Before serving, stir the cooked rice into the slow cooker and serve hot.1 box Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice with seasonings
“A hug is a great gift. One size fits all.
It can be given for any occasion & it’s easy to exchange.”
Submitted by Kolene. Submit your quote by clicking here.