My Katy’s favorite supper in the entire world is Chicken and Dumplings. So much so that I try to never ask her what she wants for supper because I know the answer – and we just can’t have chicken and dumplings seven days a week despite how happy that would make her.
Over the years, though, I’ve come up with a few different ways of making it that suit my schedule a little better. This is my slow cooker version and it is packed with that delicious flavor that leaves you taking one bite and the next thing you know your plate is empty.
This recipe appears in the limited edition magazine, Southern Plate Suppers – and I’m sharing it with you today as a preview of some of the exclusive recipes in that issue! More information on the magazine can be found below the recipe.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 10+3⁄4-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10+3⁄4-ounce can cream of celery soup
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces *
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces*
- 1 cup chopped carrot I sometimes omit this
- 1 ⁄3 1.5-pound package frozen dumplings, broken into 3 pieces each
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine broth, soups, poultry seasoning, salt, onion powder, and pepper; stir well. Stir in all chicken and carrot. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add frozen dumpling pieces, one at a time, to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, stirring twice, until dumplings are tender, approximately 11⁄2 hours. Sprinkle with additional pepper, if desired.