With two different types of melted cheese, a lovely layer of BBQ sauce, red onion, and tender chicken, this super quick and easy BBQ chicken french bread pizza recipe is the perfect appetizer, game day snack, or dinner for the family.
I love this BBQ chicken french bread pizza recipe for so many different reasons:
- It’s so quick to make. We’re talking 5 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook. Yep, they’ll be cooked and eaten in under 30 minutes.
- It’s so easy. All you need to do is cut your french bread in half a couple of times to make the pizza crust, add your toppings, and bake!
- You can adapt the toppings to suit you and your family. Seeing as this is a BBQ chicken pizza recipe, we’re using BBQ sauce as our base instead of pizza sauce (but here’s my quick pizza sauce recipe if you want to change things up). Then I add cooked chicken, red onion slices, two types of cheese, and fresh chives. I’ve included some suggestions below, but you can use whatever toppings you like.
- These pizzas are great to serve on so many occasions. Maybe you want a healthier takeout idea for Friday night dinner with the family? Maybe you want an easy appetizer to take to your next game day gathering? This pizza recipe ticks all these boxes!
Have I convinced you to give this BBQ chicken french bread pizza recipe a go? No one will be able to resist the tasty toasted bread overloaded with toppings (and I mean no one). Let’s get cooking!
- Loaf of french bread
- BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Original)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooked chicken, shredded
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh chives, diced
How to Make BBQ Chicken French Bread Pizza
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Cut your loaf of french bread in half and then cut each half lengthwise. You will have 4 large pieces of bread.
Place bread on a baking sheet and then use a spoon to spread BBQ sauce evenly over each piece of bread.
Next top each piece with cheddar cheese…
The shredded chicken and red onion…
And mozzarella cheese on top.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to bubble.
Top with fresh chives, cut into slices and serve the pizza warm.
How easy was that? Enjoy your pizza!
Because you’re using fresh bread, it’s best to serve these immediately. However, adapt the recipe to suit you to ensure you don’t have any leftovers. For example, halve the ingredients to only make 2 pizzas.
- Use your favorite BBQ sauce for this recipe. I chose Sweet Baby Ray’s original this time, but I’ve used a spicier BBQ sauce before when I wanted more of a kick and it was also great!
- Boiled chicken, leftover chicken, or rotisserie chicken all work for this recipe. I used rotisserie chicken this time, but I’m going to try it with some leftover pulled BBQ chicken next time.
- For more BBQ flavor, you can also toss the cooked chicken in additional BBQ sauce before layering it onto the pizza.
- Here are some variations to make this recipe your own:
- Swap the freshly chopped chives for green onion, chopped fresh parsley, or cilantro if your family is on team cilantro.
- Add additional toppings: crumbled bacon bits, canned pineapple pieces, jalapeno slices, sliced olives, thinly sliced bell pepper, or corn kernels.
- Use a different type of cheese, like smoked gouda, sharp cheddar cheese, Pepperjack cheese, or a Mexican cheese blend. I always recommend shredded mozzarella cheese on top though, for that melted goodness.
- Use homemade bbq sauce instead.
- Serve it with an extra drizzle of barbecue sauce.
Can I make french bread pizza in the air fryer?
Absolutely! Use the same temperature and check whether it’s done after 5 minutes. You’ll just most likely need to cut each piece in half once again so they fit into your air fryer.
Check out these other perfect pizza-inspired recipes:
Barbecue Chicken Pizza, Southern-Style
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls Made From Scratch
- 1 large loaf of french bread
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Original)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the loaf of french bread in half and then cut each half lengthwise. You will have 4 large pieces of bread.1 large loaf of french bread
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and then use a spoon to spread BBQ sauce evenly over each piece of bread.1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- Next top each piece with cheddar cheese, chicken, red onion, and mozzarella.1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup shredded cooked chicken, 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced, 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to bubble.
- Top with fresh chives and serve warm.2 tbsp fresh chives, diced