Loaded with taco-seasoned ground beef, refried beans, and lots of melted cheddar cheese, this cheesy beef and bean burritos recipe is the perfect freezer-friendly main dish for those busy weeknights.
Today I’m teaming up with my friends at Borden® Cheese to share a recipe that gratefully gets my family through any busy season. I rely on these quick and easy cheesy beef and bean burritos on those days when time gets away from me and supper sneaks up!
By making a big batch of these ahead of time, not only do I save us money but I can add some fresh salsa and a salad and put a big family meal on the table in no time, regardless of how many people show up for that meal! Whether it’s gathering in the kitchen to whip up the beef and bean burritos or sitting down to enjoy the meal together, Borden® Cheese is the perfect addition to any family occasion.
Now, you know when I say this is a quick and easy supper recipe, I mean it. All you have to do is brown the ground beef and then add that delicious taco seasoning. I can never get enough of this taco flavor! Then it’s time to assemble your burritos. Add a layer of refried beans, beef, and lots of cheddar cheese. Then wrap up your burrito and pop it in the freezer. These bean and beef burritos will be ready and waiting when you most need them.
- Large flour tortillas
- Vegetarian refried beans
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Borden® mild cheddar cheese
Borden® Cheese also comes in Mozzarella, Mexican, Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, American, Colby Jack, and more. Their cheese is available as singles, shreds, chunks, slices, strings, and snack bars at major grocery stores and independent retailers across the United States.
How to Make Cheesy Beef and Bean Burritos
Brown your ground beef in a large skillet, chopping it up into fine pieces. Drain off any grease.
Add in the packages of taco seasoning and 3 cups of water. Bring this to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, stirring from time to time, until thickened.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly while you assemble the ingredients.
I like to add some fresh salsa to mine and if we are going to be eating them fresh, I add lettuce. However, I make sure not to add lettuce to any we will be freezing.
We are going to add lots of Borden® cheese!
In the very center of your burrito, place a good spoonful or two of refried beans.
Top that with a few spoonfuls of seasoned ground beef.
Add a generous handful of Borden® cheddar cheese.
Folding the burrito
Now I fold up the bottom…
And then the top.
Then I fold over each side…
to make a little pocket where all of the ingredients are fully contained.
Now we have a perfectly folded burrito that won’t dump the contents into our lap as we eat it!
Repeat until you’ve made 20 beef burritos.
At this point, I like to freeze them. There are a few ways to do this.
I place some in individual small freezer bags for quick grab-and-go meals. Others, I place in gallon size freezer bags and lay these bags flat with the burritos not touching until they are fully frozen so they don’t get stuck together. You can also separate them with waxed paper in the bag as well.
To reheat, all you have to do is place a frozen burrito on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for about two minutes.
And ooey, gooey, cheesy goodness is ready whenever you need it!
Never underestimate the comfort of a cheesy beef and bean burrito!
This is exactly why my mother makes a big Tex Mex meal for our December holiday dinner at her house. I hope you get to make some of these soon. They can be lifesavers, sanity savers, and season savers 😉. Enjoy!
- See the above instructions to learn how to freeze your beef and bean burritos. But you’ll want to let them thaw in the fridge before microwaving as directed.
- If you want a crispier burrito, reheat it in the oven or air fryer instead.
- You can also store leftover burritos in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days before reheating as directed.
- You can use any size flour tortilla you like, but I like to use large ones so that I can fold them in a neat little pocket, making them easier to eat.
- If you like, swap the cheddar cheese for another Borden variety, like Mexican cheese blend, sharp cheddar cheese, or Pepper Jack cheese.
- For added spice, add jalapeño or a can of diced green chiles to the ground beef mixture.
- Feel free to substitute the ground beef for ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork.
- You can also swap the refried beans for canned black beans or kidney beans. Simply mix these in with the before cooling and adding to the tortilla.
- To make these burritos even more hearty and filling, add an extra layer of rice. Try our cilantro-lime cauliflower rice or simply brown rice. Another option is to simply serve your burritos with rice as a main dish.
What do you serve with beef and bean burritos?
Serve your beef burrito with a side salad featuring your favorite taco and burrito toppings: chopped avocado or guacamole, fresh cilantro, shredded lettuce, pico de Gallo (or simply chopped tomatoes), chopped bell pepper, or salsa. For added flavor, enjoy it with , , and/or a squeeze of .
Check out these other Mexican-inspired main dishes:
- 20 large flour tortillas
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 3 packets taco seasoning
- 2 cans vegetarian refried beans 14-ounce each
- 2 packages Borden® mild cheddar shredded cheese 8-ounce each
- Place the ground beef in a large skillet. Cook, chopping it finely while doing so, over medium-high heat, until fully cooked and no longer pink in the center. Drain off any grease.3 pounds ground beef
- Add taco seasoning and three cups of water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring fairly often, until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.3 packets taco seasoning, 3 pounds ground beef
- Assemble each burrito by spreading about two spoonfuls of refried beans in the center of each burrito and topping that with about two spoonfuls of seasoned beef and a generous handful of shredded cheddar cheese.20 large flour tortillas, 3 pounds ground beef, 2 cans vegetarian refried beans, 2 packages Borden® mild cheddar shredded cheese
- Fold the burrito up by folding each side into the center, according to the directions and photos in this post. Place the burritos into zipper-seal freezer bags, not touching or separated by waxed paper, and freeze.
- To reheat, place a burrito, uncovered, on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for two minutes or until heated through.