Easy as can be! This stuffed pepper casserole recipe takes the classic flavors and ingredients of stuffed green peppers, then turns them into a cheesy comfort food dish that is irresistible.
While I’m calling this a stuffed pepper casserole, it’s more of a deconstructed stuffed pepper dish. Yep, there’s no stuffing needed! Instead of stuffing the filling into the peppers, the bell peppers here are sliced, sautéed, then mixed with the other ingredients. So technically, I guess this should be called an unstuffed pepper casserole with the flavors of its kissin’ cousin classic stuffed peppers.
Here are all the reasons why I loved this stuffed pepper casserole:
- It takes just one pot and one casserole dish to make this casserole. You can even cook the rice in the same skillet to save time.
- It’s so quick and easy to make. All you have to do is cook the ingredients in a skillet, let it simmer, and then cook for 20 minutes. This dish makes the perfect weeknight meal, as it’s prepped, cooked, and ready to eat in about 45 minutes.
- This casserole is gluten-free and can easily be vegetarian with a couple of switches. Just substitute the ground meat for tofu, a can of white beans, or your favorite meat substitute, and don’t sprinkle with cheese.
Are you now convinced to try this stuffed pepper casserole instead of ? Let’s get cooking!
- Ground beef or ground turkey
- Small onion – diced
- Minced garlic
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 cups cooked rice. (make it low carb with our riced cauliflower)
- Medium diced tomato
- 3 large green peppers – diced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
In a large skillet, brown the hamburger meat (whether that’s ), onion, and minced garlic until the meat is brown. Drain if needed.
Add in the salt, pepper, tomato soup, rice, diced tomatoes, and bell pepper.
Mix well and allow the mixture to cook for 10 -15 minutes.
Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish.
Top with the shredded cheese.
Optional: top with a few leftover green pepper pieces.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Store any casserole leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. This casserole is the perfect dish to make ahead of time.
- You can also store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave. You might want to spruce it up with a little hot sauce or just salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve your casserole with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley and creamy Greek yogurt.
- Use your favorite cheese in this casserole recipe, whether that’s a combination of cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese, or something milder like mozzarella cheese or Monterey Jack.
- You can use a combination of red, yellow, and in this dish. You could also add additional vegetables like frozen spinach or chopped zucchini.
- To make this into a low-carb casserole, substitute the rice for cauliflower rice.
- Speaking of, you can use whichever rice you prefer, like brown rice, long-grain rice, or even quinoa.
- If you want to add more spices to this dish, go for a teaspoon of chili powder and cumin for a Mexican-inspired addition or a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Turn your leftovers into stuffed pepper wraps for lunch the next day. Delicious!
What do you serve with stuffed pepper casserole?
This casserole is a hearty main dish already. But if you like, you can serve it with a refreshing green salad or a side of cornbread.
Here are more comforting casserole dishes to make this week:
Cabbage Casserole Recipe Oven or Slow Cooker
Green Bean Casserole Rich, Creamy With The Perfect Crunch
Cornbread Casserole Recipe Simple and Savory
Ham Egg and Cheese Casserole (Insta Pot or Oven!)
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 cups rice cooked
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 3 green peppers large, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the hamburger meat, onion, and minced garlic until the meat is cooked through. Drain if needed.1 lb ground beef, 1 onion, 1 tsp garlic
- Add in the salt, pepper, tomato soup, rice, diced tomatoes, and bell pepper. Mix well and allow the mixture to cook for 10 -15 minutes.1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 can tomato soup, 2 cups rice, 1 cup diced tomatoes, 3 green peppers
- Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish, top with the shredded cheese (optional: top with a few leftover green peppers), and bake at 350 for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
I substituted with things I had on hand from my pantry. A 10 oz. can of mild red enchilada sauce instead of tomato soup, sweet banana peppers from my garden instead of green peppers, a package of uncle Ben’s jasmine ready rice, 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning sprinkled on the cooked ground beef. It was very easy and good.
I think it sounds delicious , husband doesn’t do onions or bell peppers . Any ideas on substitutions for these ? Always looking for new casserole dishes for weeknight dinners !
I love this recipe and my only change is using riced cauliflower instead of rice since I am try to cut back on carbs. Thanks for all your great recipes
I’ve made this recipe as written and we love it, but I’ve also taken the lazy way out and used a bag of frozen pepper and onion blend. You can buy a bag of just pepper strips and still use a diced onion, or just get the bag of pepper and onion strips. It’s much easier and quicker. I also use jarred sauce.