My coffee brownies include homemade rich fudge brownies with creamy coffee frosting to make the perfect treat for both chocolate and coffee lovers.
It is no secret that coffee-flavored recipes are plentiful on Southern Plate. We love our coffee and brownies so why not make coffee brownies? I could barely get images of these brownies before I was invaded by a few friends I had over while they were cooling. The richness of the fudge brownie and the thick layer of cool creamy coffee frosting served with a coffee pick-me-up is simply divine!
To make our homemade chocolate brownies from scratch, we’re going to need the usual baking ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder. Fortunately, they’re super quick and easy to make. All it takes is a little mixing and our brownie batter is ready in no time. Once they’re baked and cooled, we turn our attention toward the coffee frosting, which is made with instant coffee granules, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and more butter. Add a very decadent layer of icing on top of the brownies and our coffee brownies are complete.
Folks, this coffee brownie recipe is SO good. The coffee icing is so smooth and creamy and when combined with the moist fudgy brownie layer, this dessert is irresistible. I hope you get to make it soon… just don’t be surprised if a crowd gathers when you do!
Let’s get baking!
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Instant coffee granules
- Heavy whipping cream
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Coffee Brownies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper and spray with the non-stick cooking spray.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
In a large bowl, add the melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Add the cocoa.
Add flour and baking soda.
Stir until combined.
Spread the brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Allow the brownies to cool and then prepare the frosting.
Mix the instant coffee into the heavy cream and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter until it’s light and fluffy.
Slowly add the powdered sugar and keep adding until everything is well combined.
Add in the heavy cream and coffee combination and mix well.
Continue adding cream 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency has been reached.
Frost the brownies.
Cut some slices and enjoy!
- Because of the coffee frosting, I recommend storing leftover brownies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- You can also freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
- To enhance both the chocolate and coffee flavor, you can add a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee or espresso powder to the brownie batter as well. This makes mocha brownies, which sound just as good, right?
- If you like your brownies with the added texture of chopped nuts, add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or chopped pecans. You can also add toffee bits.
- Another option is to use half granulated sugar and half brown sugar in the brownie mixture.
- Want more chocolate? I won’t tell if you add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks to the batter.
Check out these other decadent brownie recipes:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2-4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8-inch baking dish with non-stick spray or line it with parchment paper and spray with the non-stick spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.1 stick unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, add the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder and stir until well combined.1 cup granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool and then prepare the frosting.
- Mix the instant coffee into the heavy cream and set aside.1.5 tsp instant coffee granules, 2-4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until it’s light and fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar and keep adding until everything is well combined. Add in 2 tbsp of the heavy cream/coffee combo and mix well. Continue adding cream 1 tbsp at a time until the desired consistency has been reached.1/3 cup unsalted butter, 2 cups powdered sugar
- Frost the brownies, slice, and enjoy!
- Store brownies in an airtight container or freeze them.