You know how we each have a “thing” that we always have on hand or something that we always do that just makes our life infinitely nicer? That for me of course is COFFEE! So you can imagine why I love this Decadent Coffee Cream Pie.
Coffee lovers will be droolin’ over the wonderful coffee aroma with a hint of cream and sweetness is just enough for all palates!
I based this pie recipe off of my Lemon Meringue recipe. It took a little work and modifications to get it just right but now I have a pie I know you’ll love as much as I do!
I think this is my new birthday pie 🙂
Let’s get this coffee party started!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Coffee Cream Pie:
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Instant coffee
- A graham crust
- A touch of flour
Wanna make your crust from scratch? Go for it! Wanna grab one in the store for a buck fifty like I did? More power to ya! No judgement on how you go about making this pie.
*Note on the instant coffee: You need enough for the equivalent of two cups. How much is that? Check the package of the instant coffee you have. It will tell you how much to add to a cup. Double that.
How To Make Coffee Cream Pie
Separate your eggs. They were getting far too chummy in there anyway.
Make sure you don’t have any of the yolk (right) in with the white (left).
Place your ingredients in a sauce pot. Egg yolks (save the whites), butter, condensed milk, flour, and instant coffee. Put this over medium high heat and stir constantly until it comes to a little boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring until it is thickened, about ten minutes altogether. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. If you forget to stir in the vanilla, no worries. It’ll still be fine.
I know it seems thick already but it will get thicker.
Pour into crust. Allow to cool slightly while you make your meringue.
Oh, please please please lick that spoon that you stirred the filling with as an omen of good things to come!
How to Make Your Meringue for Coffee Cream Pie?
Make your meringue by placing your egg whites in a mixing bowl and beating the living mess out of it until it gets really good and foamy. Add in sugar and beat again until it looks like this.
It is always important to make sure your mixing bowl and beaters are SUPER SUPER clean when making a meringue. If there exist the slightest hint of grease or oil residue on them, your egg whites won’t whip like you want them to.
Spread your meringue over the top of your pie, being sure to spread it all the way to the edges so that it touches all around. This prevents the meringue from pulling back and shrinking while baking.
Place this in the oven at 325 for 15 minutes, or until the top is nice and golden brown.
Allow to cool slightly and then cover and place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.
Enjoy a cool slice of coffee lover’s heaven! Store pie in fridge.
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon flour all purpose or self rising
- 1/4 stick butter
- 2 servings of instant coffee enough to make two cups, check package directions for amount
- regular size graham cracker crust not deep dish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar for meringue
- In medium sauce pot, combine butter, condensed milk, egg yolks, instant coffee, and flour. Stir this constantly over medium high heat until noticeably thicker, about ten minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Pour into shell and set aside.
- Place egg whites in clean bowl and beat with electric mixer until white and foamy. Add sugar. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon over top of pie and spread to cover the top, making sure that meringue touches edges of pie crust all around to prevent shrinking while baking.
- Bake at 325 for fifteen minutes, or until meringue is golden brown. Allow to cool and then cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled before serving.
You may also enjoy these recipes:
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. ~ Proverbs 3:3