Strawberry Candy is a recipe I got from my Grandmother Cornetha. She and my Papa Reed (Mama’s Daddy) got married when my mother was fourteen, adding a whole other branch to our family tree. Honestly, at this point we got one of those HUGE oak trees with all of the branches jutting out all over the place!
But let’s get to the recipe…
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Strawberry gelatin powder
- Green food coloring
- Red crystal sprinkles (red sugar). If you want to make this yourself you can use Beetroot powder and check out this recipe for DIY Beetroot powder to make the red sugar from
- Sweetened flaked coconut
- Finely chopped nuts (I’m using pecans)
- Slivered Almonds
Pour your sweetened condensed milk into a bowl.
I could just drink a whole can of this if my blood sugar would let me. I swannee, anything with sweetened condensed milk in it is delicious!
Add your coconut and nuts
And gelatin powder.
Stir and stir and stir and stir and stir until it looks like this.
(It won’t take long, I just felt like being dramatic)
Cover with foil and let sit in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
24 hours later…
Oh who are we kidding? Like I’m gonna wait forty eight hours on anything. I didn’t even let my own kids wait til their due dates. I have the patience of a hyperactive gnat on sugar.
So the next day go ahead and take that out (unless you want to follow the original instructions and not be rebel with me, whatever cranks yer tractor).
Spoon up about a teaspoon full like this.
and shape into a strawberry…
and roll around in sugar.
Where Can I Get Red Sugar?
I order mine from Amazon or Target. I usually get this red sugar
If you choose to purchase from the link above Southern Plate will receive a small commission to put toward updating recipes, providing new ones as well as videos and more :).
Now do that a whole bunch more times..
Now we need to dye our almonds. I place mine in a sandwich baggie
and pour about a tablespoon or so (I use too much so feel free to use less!) of green food coloring in the bag.
Seal that and move them around to give them a good coating.
Then pour them out onto a paper towel lined plate to dry.
What Else Can I Use to Make the Tops Green?
You can also use green sugar crystals and just dip the tops of these candies in those crystals and that works as well.
If you like, you can also put them in a baking dish and put them in the oven on 250 to speed up the drying process.
Stick one in the end of each strawberry.
Aren’t they pretty? They taste YUMMY, too!
- 1 Cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 Cup finely chopped nuts I used pecans
- 1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 - 3 ounce boxes strawberry gelatin
- 1-2 jars red sugar crystals you can get by on one, but I used 1 1/2
- slivered almonds you just need about three dozen pieces, 1/2 a cup is more than enough
- green food coloring
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, coconut, nuts, and gelatin powder, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate for 48 hours. Remove and form teaspoonfuls into strawberry shape. Roll in red sugar. Dye almonds green with food coloring and place one in the end of each strawberry as a stem. Store in refrigerator. *Makes about three dozen.
You may also enjoy these candy recipes:
Keep a green tree in your heart
and perhaps a singing bird will come.
-Chinese Proverb Submitted by Leigh. Submit your quote here.