How To Make A Beef Stew Flavorful and Satisfying In A Crock Pot
I do love my veggies for sure, but this hearty beef stew gets me every time. Each spoonful of flavorful goodness warms my belly and my soul.
If you’re in a rush, just scroll down to the recipe card.
The ingredients you need to Make a Beef Stew, you’ll need:
- Lean ground beef (any type of beef will work)*
- Frozen stew mix (veggie mix) or gumbo mix**
- Frozen butter or baby lima beans
- Small onion
- Chopped crushed tomatoes
- Beef broth
- Ranch dressing mix
- Italian dressing mix.
TIPS for Making a Beef Stew Recipe
* If you use ground beef you are going to add this ground beef uncooked. This adds more flavor to your stew. If you use larger chunks of cubed meat, I like to sear in a little garlic butter before adding them into the stew. Adds a whole bunch to the flavor.
Exact measurements and some other options are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. The two dressing mixes are what make the seasoning PERFECT and take it over the top in flavor.
What is Frozen Stew Mix?
**A couple of people asked what this is so I came back to clarify 🙂 Frozen stew mix is just a mix of frozen veggies in a bag that you buy in the freezer section. Usually it’s green beans or okra, corn, chopped onions, and sometimes tomatoes and such. It can be any blend of frozen veggies you like, though. I love the type that has okra in it for this stew.
Now let’s get back to How to Make A Beef Stew In A Slow Cooker
- Dump everything except the meat in the slow cooker/crock pot. Take your meat and pinch off bits at a time to add to the slow cooker, until it is all added. As discussed above if I am using ground beef I add it raw.
- Give this a little stir, and turn it on. Low, 7-8 hours, or high, 3-4.
Go about your day and get ready for a delicious supper!
Oh my. This Beef Stew in a slow cooker is such a soothing bowl of deliciousness with flavors that hit all the right notes!
Enjoy – and if there are any leftovers, it’s even better the next day.
Can you freeze Beef Stew?
Beef Stew freezes beautifully so I usually make extra and freeze it in single servings for family to heat up or to take to friends who just need a little act of kindness for the day.
- 1 pound lean ground beef uncooked
- 12 ounce bag frozen stew mix or gumbo mix gumbo mix that has okra in it and is my favorite
- 12 ounce bag frozen butter beans baby lima beans, or veggie of your choice
- 1 small onion chopped
- 29 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth can use two cups water and two beef bullion cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 package ranch dressing mix 1 ounce package*
- 1 package Italian dressing mix .7 ounce package*
- Place all ingredients in 6 quart slow cooker except beef. Using your hands, pinch off bite size pieces of beef and drop into slow cooker. Beef doesn’t have to be uniform or done a certain way, it just needs to be in smaller pieces.
- Stir everything. Cook on low, 7-8 hours or on high, 3-4.
You might also enjoy these recipes!
Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own.
~H. Jackson Brown