This Mexican Chicken Casserole is a quick and easy family hit! I love me some chicken casserole but this recipe with its seasonings and flavors is perfection in a pan.
Let’s have some perfection for supper together…
To Make A Mexican Chicken Casserole You’ll Need:
- Cooked chicken
- Instant rice (or to keep it lower carb you can use my cauliflower rice recipe here)
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Frozen diced onion
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Ro*Tel tomatoes
- Garlic powder
- Chicken broth
Why Use A Frozen Onion In This Recipe?
Okay, so you’re thinking… why the frozen onion? Right? Well, there are several reasons. First, frozen diced onion and frozen diced green pepper are a great thing to have in the freezer in a pinch. And second, use frozen because it cooks through faster and with this relatively short cooking time you’ll need them to cook faster. Using raw onions throws the cassserole texture way off. Trust me, I have ruined a casserole or two before I figured this out.
Dump all of the first nine ingredients and half of the cheddar cheese in a large bowl and stir to combine.
Next, turn the mixture out into a greased casserole dish (9X13). Then top with remaining cheese.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
I guarantee the flavors in this dish will have your taste buds dancing! YUM!
- 4 cups of cooked chopped chicken (about 4 to 5 breasts halves)
- 2 cups of instant rice
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup frozen diced onion
- 1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Combine all ingredients and half of cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Turn out into a greased casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
This post was originally a guest post from Stacey Little in 2011 at southernbite.com and updated in 2021. Check out his blog here.
You may also like these casserole recipes:
“The smallest deed done is better than the greatest intention never carried out.”
Submitted by Rejoiced Over. Submit your quote to our collection by clicking here.