Aunt Louise’s Cheese Ball. Who is Louise? Louise was my Grandmama Lucy’s sister. She always had a twinkle in her eye and a mouth that curved up every so slightly at the corners, as if she were going to burst into a smile at any moment. She was a good hearted person who, like my grandmother, had lived a hard life but always came out on top because she chose to focus on the good instead of amplifying the bad.
This is an unusually good cheese ball, perfect for a party, family get together, or snacks before a meal. For best results, smile as you make it, and think of the folks you love 🙂
Ingredients for this recipe for Cheese Ball recipe:
- Onion or Garlic Powder
- Cream Cheese (check out our easy recipe for homemade cream cheese here).
- Feta Cheese*
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Sharp Cheddar
- Mayo (the mayo was camera shy, so it’s not pictured) 😉
Note: You are seeing too much cream cheese here. You just need one brick. But these blocks had become quite close during their short stay in my fridge and I hated to tell one “Well, you’re not really needed so you stay behind.” So I took him out and got his picture made and he was all happy, felt like he was part of the gang really, then went back to the fridge. In truth, I didn’t have enough sharp cheddar to make a whole recipe so I ended up halving it but forgot to take the full recipe amount of cream cheese out. Hey, I’m tired.
Can I replace the Feta Cheese?
*Truth be told, Louise’s recipe calls for Bleu Cheese in place of the feta. If you are a bleu cheese person, you should definitely use that.
How to Make a Cheese Ball recipe Step by Step
- Grate sharp cheddar and set aside, covered, at room temp for about an hour.
- Let Cream Cheese come to room temp as well, then put all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix this right up.
Now this part is totally optional in the recipe for a cheese ball, especially considering how expensive pecans are…
- Scatter some pecan pieces on top of a piece of plastic wrap.
- Dump and scrape your cheese onto this.
- Roll it up into a ball a little bit and sprinkle pecans on the bald spots.
- Wrap the cheese ball up in the plastic wrap and cover with more, then shape it into a smoother ball and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
Or, if you are in a hurry, pop that cheese ball in the freezer for about ten minutes 🙂
Serve this cheese ball with crackers and enjoy!
Thanks, Louise 🙂
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar
- 2 ounces Bleu Cheese or Feta eyeball half of a 4 oz box
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter or margarine
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- Chopped pecans optional
- Grate cheddar cheese and allow to sit at room temp for one hour (cover it so it doesn't dry).
- In a medium mixing bowl, place all ingredients. Mix until smooth and well blended.
- Turn out onto plastic wrap that has been sprinkled with chopped pecans (can skip the pecans if you like). Shape into a ball and press pecans in to cover, if desired. Wrap in plastic wrap and form into a ball.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.