Today I’m sharing my Cheese Wafer recipe based on Mama’s cheese straw recipe but we’re going to go easy on ourselves and make them into wafers instead. All that is requires is rolling the sharp cheese dough into a ball and pressing it lightly with a fork. This is another one of my favorite recipes that utilizes our Kindergarten play-doh skills. 🙂
Can I Use Other Types of Cheese?
Making this Cheese Wafer recipe with Sharp cheddar gives it a nice flavor but you could use Pepper Jack cheese either mixed in or instead of sharp to get a completely different flavor.
The ingredients you will need to make these Cheese Wafers you’ll need:
- Paprika (optional)
- Cayenne Pepper (ground)
- Borden Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Kosher Salt
- All Purpose Flour
I am specifically using Borden cheese here because it is delicious, all natural, and is made by a cooperative of over 8,000 family owned dairy farms across the United States. The cheeses they offer include: Mild Cheddar, Mozzarella, Mexican, Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, American, Colby Jack, and more. They are available in singles, shreds, chunks, slices, strings, and snacks! This is creamy, flavorful, delicious cheese made in our homeland and it just makes every dish better.
IMPORTANT TIP for your Butter and Cheese
Before making these, place your cheese and butter out and leave them on the countertop overnight to make sure they are completely room temp before attempting this recipe.
How to Make Cheese Wafers
This recipe couldn’t get any easier. Dump all of your ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fully combined.
Will all this really combine well?
Now listen, at first you are going to think there is no way this is going to combine but if you stick with it (and if you left your cheese and butter out all night like I mentioned) it will combine into a stiff cookie dough like consistency like this.
Note: You are seeing a double recipe pictured here.
Break off a softball size ball of dough and knead it a few times with your hands. Then, pinch off smaller portions (about one inch balls) and knead them each individually before shaping into a ball.
Place these Cheese Wafer balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.
Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. If you like, sprinkle with paprika as soon as you remove them from the oven (totally optional).
Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container.
- 1 pound Borden Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 stick butter 6 tablespoons
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon salt
- 2.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper 3.5 for even hotter
- paprika for dusting if desired
- Let cheese and butter sit on countertop overnight to come to room temp.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until well blended and dough is the consistency of cookie dough.
- Break off a large softball sized portion and knead it with your hands. Break off one inch size pieces and knead each one a time or two before forming into a one inch ball. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Repeat until all dough is used.
- Using the tines of a fork press down slightly on each ball.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom and dry. Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container.
- Before making these, place your cheese and butter out and leave them on the countertop overnight to make sure they are completely room temp before attempting this recipe.
You may also enjoy these recipes with cheese: