All you need is 3 ingredients to make my creamy, flavorful, and super easy Mexican cream cheese salsa dip recipe for your next party.
Back in the day Christy visited Mexico City Beach in Florida alongside Stacey from SouthernBite and Brandie from Country Cook. Over a few days, we checked out this wonderful town, collaborated on some work, and spend a little time in the kitchen. They did a few Facebook Live videos on our pages and received a challenge from some of y’all to come up with a new recipe based solely on ingredients we had on hand. That is how this cream cheese salsa dip recipe was born.
It’s a recipe that’s as quick and easy as they come. All you need is 3 ingredients: cream cheese, white meat canned chicken, and salsa. Then all you’re going to do is mix together the cream cheese and salsa until it’s smooth and creamy. Then you incorporate the chicken and voila, you have yourself a Mexican cream cheese salsa dip!
Keep scrolling for some ideas to make this recipe work for you. But serve it with some tortilla chips at your next potluck, game day, or upcoming Super Bowl party and it’s sure to be a hit! Who can say no to a creamy, flavorful chicken cream cheese dip? No one, that’s who!
- Cream cheese (here’s my homemade cream cheese recipe).
- White meat chicken (canned, rotisserie, or whatever you like)
How to Make Cream Cheese Salsa Dip
Using a hand mixer on high speed, mix together the cream cheese and salsa until smooth and creamy.
Mix the chicken in at low speed until well blended.
Doing this extra step at low speed ensures the chicken doesn’t get too minced.
It should look a little bit like this.
For best results, I recommend letting the dip chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
Then serve your dip with tortilla chips…
Or potato chips. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Want to make this into a layered dip like my Tex Mex 7-layer dip in a pie plate or casserole dish?
- Start with a layer of softened cream cheese beaten with a hand mixer until smooth. For extra creaminess and flavor, combine it with a cup of sour cream before layering. You can also mix in a teaspoon of taco seasoning.
- Add the salsa.
- Add the chicken.
- Finish with additional toppings if you like: shredded sharp cheddar cheese, avocado, diced tomatoes, chopped black olives, diced onion, chopped fresh cilantro, or chopped green onion, you name it!
- Use your favorite salsa in this recipe, whether that’s mild, medium, or hot salsa. You can even use salsa verde or green salsa if that’s more your style.
- If your drained salsa is extra liquid-y, a quick remedy is to drain it again using a fine mesh strainer to remove as much excess liquid as possible.
- Here are some options to use instead of canned chicken:
- Omit the chicken entirely.
- Substitute it for a can of black beans or kidney beans for a vegetarian option.
- Use crispy crumbled bacon pieces instead.
- Substitute it for cooked and cooled ground beef or crumbled sausage.
- Use any type of leftover shredded chicken breast in its place.
- For extra heat, mix in half a finely chopped jalapeno when you mix in the chicken.
- For extra crunch, serve the cream cheese dip with a sprinkle of crispy fried onions.
How do you soften cream cheese for dip?
If you need to soften cream cheese quickly, place the unwrapped block of cheese on a microwave-safe plate and microwave it on high for 15 seconds. Otherwise, leave it out on the counter for at least 30 minutes before mixing the dip.
Can you make cream cheese salsa dip ahead of time?
This dip will last in the fridge for up to 4 days, so yes, please feel free to make it in advance.
Do you serve cream cheese salsa dip hot or cold?
I prefer to serve this dip cold. But if you’d prefer a baked cream cheese salsa dip, I recommend adding a layer of shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese on top and baking in a 400-degree oven for approximately 25 minutes. However, if you’re choosing this option I recommend serving immediately as leftovers don’t taste as good as the cold variety.
How do you serve cream cheese salsa dip?
Serve your dip with tortilla chips, potato chips, pita chips, bagel chips, your favorite crackers, pretzels, or fresh veggie sticks. Whatever you like!
Check out these other delicious dip recipes:
- 1 8-ounce block softened cream cheese
- 1 5-ounce white meat chicken, drained canned, rotisserie or whatever kind you like
- 1 cup salsa
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, mix together the cream cheese and salsa until smooth and creamy.1 8-ounce block softened cream cheese, 1 cup salsa
- Mix the chicken in at low speed until well blended.1 5-ounce white meat chicken, drained
- Serve with tortilla chips.