This is my mother’s recipe for stuffed peppers with ground turkey or beef recipe – and boy are they good! A meal in and of itself, stuffed peppers are classic comfort food either way you look at it.
Prepare Ahead of Time or For Today
This stuffed pepper recipe is so simple and uses mostly pantry staples and you can make these ahead of time right up to the point of putting it in the oven, then simply cover with foil or cling wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake them. This would be a great meal to prep on Sunday for a busy night later in the week!
Ingredients for Stuff Peppers:
- Tomato Soup
- Chili powder
- Chopped garlic
- Cooked rice
- Ground turkey or beef
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Stuff Peppers with Ground Turkey or Beef
Step by Step
Begin by filling a pot deep enough to submerge the peppers in with water and add a teaspoon of salt. Put this over medium high heat to bring it to a boil while you prepare the filling.
Peel and chop your onion.
Place your onions and garlic in a skillet. Cook over medium heat until onion is lightly browned.
Normally you would add your beef along with this and cook until browned but I usually pre brown my beef and freeze it so it is already cooked.
When those get cooked a bit, move on to the next step.
Add in tomato soup.
Did y’all see that post I did on Simple And Delicious Tomato Soup?
Add in cooked ground turkey or beef…
Stir in all of your seasonings and your cooked rice.
Stir it up a bit. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about ten minutes.
Meanwhile, rinse your peppers under water and cut the tops off.
Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
Drop them in the boiling water and boil them for about five minutes.
Carefully remove with tongs.
Stir cheese into ground turkey or beef and rice mixture.
Spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray.
Place peppers inside and stuff with mixture.
Top with additional cheese and place in 350 degree oven for ten minutes.
When I make stuffed peppers, that’s supper! Nothing else needed.
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese plus more to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 medium sized bell peppers
- Fill large pot with water. Add a teaspoon of salt and set over medium high heat to bring to a boil.
- Chop onion. In large skillet, brown hamburger meat, chopped onion, and garlic until hamburger meat is browned. Drain off grease. Add spices, soup, and rice to beef mixture. Stir well. Simmer for ten minutes.
- While that is simmering, wash peppers and remove tops. Scoop out seeds with a spoon. Drop bell peppers into boiling water and boil for five minutes. Carefully remove with tongs.
- Spray 8x8 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place peppers upright inside. Add one cup cheese to beef and rice mixture and stir until melted. Spoon into peppers. Top with additional cheese.
- Bake at 350 for ten minutes.
You may also like these stuffed recipes: