The definition of hearty and filling comfort food, this easy white bean chicken chili recipe includes tender chicken and white beans in a flavorful and creamy broth.
Move aside, traditional beef chili. White bean chili with chicken is here to stay. I love this white bean chili recipe for multiple reasons:
- It’s so easy to make. The instructions are as simple as cooking the chicken and onion, simmering all the remaining ingredients for 30 minutes, then stirring in two types of cream before serving. It’s ready to serve in about 40 minutes.
- This is a one-pot meal, which, you know, is my favorite type of meal. Who wants the added dishes? Not me!
- The ingredients list includes lots of tasty additions, like chicken broth, chicken, white beans, onion, heavy cream, sour cream, and green chilies. There are also a few different herbs and spices, like garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, oregano, and cumin.
- The rich and creamy broth, mixed with the dried herbs and spices and green chilies, makes this white bean chili so flavorful with just the right amount of spice. Don’t be surprised when you crave seconds!
- You can keep it simple or add your favorite toppings. I’ve included some options below, but today we’re serving our white bean chicken chili with corn chips, cheddar cheese, and sliced jalapenos. Seeing as we are a Southern food blog though, do you know what else it pairs well with? Cornbread, of course!
- This chili is the perfect main meal to enjoy on a cool night. Get cozy with a big bowl of hearty, filling, and comforting chili.
Surely I’ve now convinced you to give this easy white bean chili recipe a go, right? Come on now…let’s get cookin’!
- Rotisserie chicken
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic powder
- Great northern beans or white beans
- Chicken broth
- Chopped green chilies
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Sour cream
- Heavy cream
- Optional add-ons: tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, and sliced jalapeno peppers.
How to Make White Bean Chili
In a large pan, add the chicken, onion, and vegetable oil.
Cook the chicken and onion together until the onion is soft. Then add all the garlic powder.
Now it’s time to add the remaining ingredients, including the beans…
Chopped green chilies…
And the dried herb and spices: ground cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
Mix ingredients together before bringing them to a boil.
Then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat, add in sour cream and heavy cream, and stir.
Your white bean chili is now ready to serve.
If it tickles your fancy, top it with tortilla chips, shredded cheese of your choice (like cheddar, parmesan cheese, or Monterey Jack), and sliced jalapenos!
Oh my goodness, how delicious does that look?
- Store leftover chili in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat them in the microwave.
- You can also freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating in the microwave.
- White beans can include great northern, navy, or cannellini beans. You can even use chickpeas if you like.
- You can use any kind of , including canned chicken or simply 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast.
- Other veggies you might want to add include 16 ounces of frozen corn kernels or canned corn and 1 cup of diced potato cubes.
- Feel free to substitute the garlic powder for a minced garlic clove.
What’s the difference between regular chili and white chili?
Regular chili has a rich tomato base that includes red chilies and/or chili powder, while white chili has a base of green chilies and cream.
Do you simmer chili with lid on or off?
How do you serve white bean chicken chili?
I’ve included some suggestions above, but other great toppings include avocado slices, chopped green onion, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and chopped fresh cilantro or fresh parsley. Instead of corn chips, serve your white bean chili with cornbread.
Can I make white bean chili in the slow cooker?
Absolutely! I’d still cook the chicken and onion first, then add all ingredients to the crockpot and simmer on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Then turn it off and stir in both creams before serving your crockpot white bean chili.
How do you make vegan white bean chili?
There are three things to do to make this a vegan chili recipe: use vegetable broth, substitute the chicken for another can of beans, and use 1 cup of coconut milk instead of both types of cream. Then you can add your own vegan-friendly toppings.
Check out my other chili recipes:
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 15-ounce cans great northern beans or white beans
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 cans chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- optional add-ons: tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, and sliced jalapeno peppers.
- In a large pan, add the oil and cook the chicken and onion together until the onion is soft. Then add the garlic powder.1 lb rotisserie chicken, 1 medium onion, 1.5 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Add the beans, broth, chilies, ground cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes2 15-ounce cans great northern beans or white beans, 1 can chicken broth, 2 cans chopped green chilies, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Remove from the heat. Add in sour cream and heavy cream and stir.1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup heavy cream
- If it tickles your fancy, top it with tortilla chips, cheese, and jalapenos.optional add-ons: tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, and sliced jalapeno peppers.