A full printable recipe is available at the bottom of this post. Thank you!
Don’t you just love the taste of brown sugar? I mean, all on its own, I just love brown sugar. Whenever I am baking with it, I can’t help but to get a pinch out for myself. Lucky is the day when I find a few precious lumps within the bag!
The wonderful thing about this cake (and I do mean WONDERFUL) is that the resulting flavor is a perfect blend of fresh apples and buttery brown sugar. With the special sauce poured over the cake and allowed to soak in before removing the cake from the pan, it is by far the moistest cake I’ve ever baked. As if the flavor (and smell!) were not enough, the slices are gorgeous, too. Thick slices showcase bits of apple and the slightly granular texture around the edges of the tender crust brought on by the brown sugar. If you’ve ever wanted to win someone over through their stomach, THIS cake is a home run.
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups raw apples peeled and chopped fine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar for sauce
- 1/4 cup milk for sauce
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine 1 -1/2 sticks (for sauce)
- Mix oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, salt, soda. Add to first mixture. Fold in pecans and apples. Bake in tube pan at 350 for 1 hour.
- For the sauce, mix and cook ingredients 3 minutes after it begins to gently boil, stirring constantly. Pour over hot cake while cake is still in pan. Let cake cool completely before removing.
You might also enjoy this recipe! Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal