In my family, if you die, get sick, have a car accident, have a baby, have a potluck, have a family reunion, have a picnic, get bad news, get hungry, or get last minute dinner guests…You get a Country Casserole!
This is our standard family casserole. It shows up everywhere! Why? Because we love it! This casserole is quick, easy, filling, great tasting, an inexpensive way to feed a crowd, a complete meal in one, freezes AMAZINGLY well, can be made even MORE easy by using canned chicken when you’re not in the mood to cook chicken ahead of time, and more importantly, its my husband’s personal favorite.
- 2 cups small shell pasta cooked and drained
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar divided
- 2 cups French fried onions divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken can use canned chicken or rotisserie
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine everything in a large bowl, reserving half of the cheese and half of the onions for topping later. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon into 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Top with remaining onions and cheese, return to oven until cheese is melted, about five minutes more.