My easy Cowboy Pizza recipe includes a homemade barbecue sauce base on a homemade stuffed pizza crust that’s topped with tender chicken, green onion, and lots of melted mozzarella cheese.
Today I’m going to show you how to make a barbecue chicken pizza that will make your taste buds yodel. We like to call this Cowboy Pizza in my household but no, it has no similarity to the Cowboy Pizza at Papa Murphy’s. Instead, it includes a homemade pizza crust topped with homemade barbecue sauce, tender cooked chicken pieces tossed in more bbq sauce, green onion, and lots of melted mozzarella cheese.
Let this Cowboy Pizza recipe work for you. Don’t want to use a homemade pizza crust? Use a store-bought one instead or my stuffed pizza crust (SO good). Don’t want to use homemade barbecue sauce on the base? Substitute it for my quick homemade pizza sauce. Want to add more toppings? Go right ahead! Sometimes we get a little crazy and bacon to ours. So yummy! The choice is yours.
This is a very easy barbecue chicken pizza recipe and the steps are as simple as can be. Just add the base, then the toppings, and bake your pizza. It’ll be ready in no time. So when you’re looking for a healthy takeout alternative on pizza night, I hope you give my Cowboy Pizza recipe a go. You won’t regret it!
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Green onions
- Barbecue sauce (I’m using my homemade recipe but you can use your favorite store-bought bbq sauce).
- Cooked chicken (I’m using rotisserie chicken)
- Pizza crust
How to Make Cowboy Pizza
This is my homemade stuffed crust pizza recipe that you can put together in a little over five minutes and is easy as can be.
Click here for the recipe with step-by-step photos.
Remove the skin and chop up about a cup or two of chicken.
You don’t need this much but I was hungry when I made this.
Add in 3-4 tablespoons of bbq sauce of your choice.
Stir that up to coat.
Place the dough on your pizza pan. Spread some bbq sauce over your crust.
How much you use is up to you. Personally, I like to use about double what is shown here but I toned it down a bit for this post.
Sprinkle sauce with just a little bit of dried oregano.
And a little bit of cheese.
Top with sliced green onions and more cheese.
Bake this at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
God Bless the Cowboys and Cowboy Pizza. Yeehaw!
Store leftover pizza in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I recommend reheating either in the oven or air fryer as the microwave will make it quite soggy.
What toppings are on a Papa Murphy’s Cowboy Pizza?
These are the ingredients: pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushrooms, black olives, shredded cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and traditional red sauce.
What are some good additional pizza toppings?
Oh, the list is truly endless when it comes to pizza toppings, but here are some suggestions:
- Protein: substitute the chicken for cooked ground beef, cooked bacon bits, pepperoni, salami, pulled pork, pulled chicken, or Italian sausage.
- Veggies: add chopped red or green bell pepper, black olives, sliced , sliced mushrooms, or chopped tomato.
- Cheese: use one or a variety of different kinds of cheese, like cheddar cheese, Colby cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese.
- Herbs: use Italian seasoning instead of or serve with chopped as a garnish.
Check out these other pizza-inspired recipes:
- 1 pizza crust
- 1 16-ounce bottle barbecue sauce
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Toss chopped chicken with 4 tablespoons of barbecue sauce to lightly coat. Set aside.1 16-ounce bottle barbecue sauce, 1-2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- Spread the remaining barbecue sauce over the pizza crust (less if you like). Sprinkle with oregano and then add half of the cheese.1 pizza crust, 1 16-ounce bottle barbecue sauce, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add chicken to the top of the pizza and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, followed by onions.2 green onions, chopped
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown and the cheese is bubbly. If you are using a store-bought crust, follow the baking directions on the package.
- Serve warm.
“Not everything that counts can be counted;
and not everything that can be counted, counts.”
~ Albert Einstein, Submitted by Wayne Walker