Grandmama made this for us every year around Christmas time. It’s great for football season, of course, but we often had it on Christmas Eve because that is when my family eats Tex-Mex. By then we are turkey’d out and ready for something different so a full spread of our finest Tex-Mex dishes hit the spot!
The first time I remember having this was when I was in elementary school. Grandmama made it for Christmas at her house and the adults had to coax me into trying it because, through the eyes of my childhood self, “it looked weird.”
I tentatively dipped a corn chip in, a little nervous by the hopeful eyes of my grandparents watching me, took a bite, and declared it delicious with great relief to myself and to them!
And so this dish, to me, will always bring with it memories of my Grandmama. What a wonderful person to remember. She was good hearted as the day is long, worked harder than anyone I’ve ever known, and always had a smile on her face. Most importantly, though, she looked for the good in every situation and it just wasn’t possible to be around her without a little of that rubbing off on you, too.
My Grandmama made me a better person just for having known her. I can’t think of a much better legacy than that and I hope to live the kind of life that perhaps, some day, someone will be able to say the same of me.
Let’s fix us a lil’ something to eat now…
You’ll need: Avocados, lemon juice, salt and pepper, sour cream, mayo, taco seasoning, can of bean dip, green onions, tomatoes, black olives, sharp cheddar cheese, and some chips to eat this wonderful creation with.
- 2 medium sized ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 package taco seasoning
- 16 ounce can bean dip
- 1/2 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 ounces chopped black olives
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar chese
- Tortilla Chips
- Peel, pit, and mash the avocados in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, and taco seasoning, mix well.
- Spread bean dip on a large, shallow platter, Top with avocado mixture then sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with chopped green onions, then the tomatoes and olives. Cover with shredded cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.