Filled with breakfast sausage, melted cheese, and scrambled egg, these 4-ingredient make-ahead breakfast burritos are the kind of quick and easy breakfast treat the whole family will love.
How about making some breakfast burritos today and having an easy go of breakfast the rest of the week? You know you want to! Luckily, this recipe is super quick and easy to make. All you need to do is cook the sausage, scramble the eggs, toast the tortilla, and then wrap those ingredients (along with cheese) in a burrito. They are so simple yet scrumptious.
- Flour tortillas
- Breakfast sausage
First, brown your sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break up with a spatula as you do so until fully cooked and no longer pink in the center.
Pour that into a bowl and set the bowl aside.
Crack a dozen eggs into a bowl.
Beat them up really well.
Pour into a large skillet over medium-low heat.
Stir every so often until eggs are scrambled and no longer runny.
Once eggs are done, pour on top of the sausage in the bowl and stir to combine.
Time to create your
Now, set up a workstation with a large skillet to heat the tortillas in, space to fill them, the shredded cheese, and the sausage and egg mixture.
Warm tortillas on both sides in the skillet (about 10 seconds on each side).
Now take a warm tortilla and lay it out on a work surface.
Spoon a good bit of filling in a line down one side. By “good bit” I mean about 1/2 a cup.
Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Fold up the top and bottom of the tortillas, this will keep your filling from falling out when you eat it. Then roll your flour tortilla up tightly as I did in the photo above.
Note: You don’t have to roll your tortillas this way, this is just how I do it. There is no right or wrong way to roll up a tortilla and if anyone tells you there is, find out when they became leader of the universe because I totally missed that election!
After you finish making each tortilla, roll it up in foil and twist or fold the ends to seal, like this.
Enjoy one of your make-ahead breakfast burritos now and put the ones you don’t eat in the fridge to reheat and enjoy later!
After I heat my breakfast burrito, I like to open it and add a few spoonfuls of chunky salsa, then wrap it up again and enjoy. If there is any filling leftover after I’ve used up all of my tortillas, I just pour a little cheese and salsa over it and eat it like a breakfast bowl!
- Store your foil-wrapped breakfast burritos in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Alternatively, enjoy for up to 3 months. Thaw the in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- Reheat your breakfast burrito either in the microwave or oven. To prevent a , I recommend the oven or air fryer. To reheat in the microwave, remove the burrito from the foil and wrap it in a paper towel. Microwave until heated through (about one minute in my microwave, but microwaves vary). To reheat in the oven, preheat to 350 and place the foil-wrapped tortilla directly onto the oven rack. Heat for 7-8 minutes or until heated through.
- You can really customize your with whatever you like. I am just showing you the basic version, which is what I make for my family. We then customize our own as we reheat them. Here are some variations:
- Add sauteed onion, green onion, spinach, or bell pepper.
- Add cooked hash browns or tater tots.
- Substitute the breakfast sausage for chicken, bacon, or ground beef.
- Add a can of black beans or refried beans after you’ve browned the sausage.
- Swap the cheddar cheese for Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or even feta.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. If you add these beforehand they’ll make the burrito soggy.
- For creamy scrambled eggs, add 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of milk, cream, or half and half when you scramble them in the skillet. You can also season with salt and pepper if you like.
Here are more great breakfast recipes:
- 12 medium to large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 10-12 large flour tortillas
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Beat well with a fork or whisk until well mixed. You can add a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of milk or whipping cream if you like, for more creaminess.12 medium to large eggs
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat while cutting with a spatula to break it into small pieces, until fully cooked and no longer pink in the center. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.1 pound breakfast sausage
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour beaten eggs into the same skillet. Cook, stirring often until eggs are scrambled and no longer runny. Pour on top of the sausage in the bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat tortillas, one at a time, in the large skillet (about 10 seconds on each side).10-12 large flour tortillas
- Immediately fill with a line of the egg/sausage mixture and sprinkle a little cheese on top. Roll up the tortillas (see photos in this post for how I roll mine) and wrap each one individually in foil, twisting or folding the ends to seal.1 cup cheddar cheese
Serve warm and refrigerate any leftovers. To reheat, remove the burrito from the foil and wrap it in a paper towel. Microwave until heated through (about one minute in my microwave, but microwaves vary). To reheat in the oven, preheat to 350 and place the foil-wrapped tortilla directly onto the oven rack. Heat for 7-8 minutes or until heated through.
“Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit.
Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.”
~Francis de Sales