Light, creamy, sweet and delicious… enjoy this Patriotic Punch Bowl Cake otherwise known as the beloved trifle.
I have a sweet tooth big enough to take over my entire mouth but I can’t eat sugar, at least not in anything other than small quantities. So I adjust a lot of dessert recipes to make them lighter or sugar free altogether. This is one recipe that works really well and is every bit as decadent and refreshing whether you make a regular or lighter version. We serve it a lot at our family get togethers in the summer and my husband always chooses it as his top pic for his February birthday as well. It would be the perfect addition to your fourth of July or other summer celebration!
- Angel Food Cake
- Vanilla pudding mix (the small box): You can use sugar free vanilla pudding mix.
- Whipped topping: Light or regular
- Milk: Any kind you like almond, whole, 2%, skim
Slice all of the brown outer layer off of your angel food cake.
I was gonna call it “crust” but that kind of implies that it is hard and crusty, which it isn’t of course! In fact, this brown part is the part you are supposed to eat while you make the rest of the cake because it’s so good and you really need to keep your energy up! No sense in wasting it anyhow..
It will look something like this (See above)
Cut the cake into cubes. You can just tear it also if you want to.
In a mixing bowl place your milk.
Add your pudding mix and mix until well blended
That looks pretty well blended to me.
Dump in your whipped topping.
Of course the recipe says to “fold” it in but y’all know I’m a dumper, not a folder.
Mix that up until well blended and all prettified.
Place 1/2 of your cake pieces in the bottom of your bowl.
Spread 1/3 of your pudding mixture over the top
and put every blessed blueberry you got on top of that!
I got a great deal on blueberries and strawberries at Sam’s club this week.
Top with the remainder of your cake pieces
and 1/3 more of your pudding mixture
Wash your strawberries and slice them
Okay so you could have done this earlier but we forgot til now so just roll with it
Now you’re going to take those strawberries and put them on top of your angel food cake pieces, just like we did the blueberries.
Place strawberries over second layer of pudding mixture.
and cover with remaining pudding mixture
If you want, you can decorate the top with more berries. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or until ready to serve. This is great if made the night before, too!
- 1 pkg Angel Food Cake
- 1 pkg 3.5 ounce instant vanilla pudding mix*
- 2 C milk can use skim
- 1 8 oz carton whipped topping (Can use light)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries washed and hulled
- 2 Cups blueberries rinsed
- Trim brown from cake. Tear cake into small pieces. Prepare pudding as directed. Mix in cool whip. Place 1/2 cake pieces in a bowl. Top with 1/3 pudding mixture and all of blueberries. Top with remaining cake pieces, 1/3 of pudding mixture, and all of strawberries. Finish with remaining pudding mixture. Garnish with additional berries if you like. Cover and refrigerate.
- *This is the small box of pudding. If you get regular it will say 3.5 ounces. Sugar free will be in that same size box but won't say 3.5 ounces. Just a heads up!
You may also enjoy these 4th of July Recipes
“The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in anothers keeping .”