Serve up this timeless Vienetta ice cream cake for a dessert. This classic summer dessert is layers of ice cream, magic shell, all in one layered ice cream dessert.
If you haven’t had viennetta ice cream cake, you are missing out. I like to refer to it as an ice cream lasagna. Layers of creamy ice cream and a crunchy magic shell layer.
Why Make This Viennetta Dessert..
- Quick To Make
- A classic dessert that guests will love
- Fancy ice cream
- Some good quality vanilla ice cream
- Magic Shell (one or two flavors, up to you)
- Waxed paper
- Brand new-reserved for kitchen use only- hair pick.
What is Viennetta Ice Cream
Viennetta is a popular dessert that Breyer’s made years ago. It was like a cake log but made with ice cream and a crispy chocolate layer all throughout the dessert.
So each bite you get creamy ice cream, with crispy sweet chocolate.
What Ice Cream Should I Choose?*
Do y’all remember how Breyer’s tasted when it first got really popular back in the day? They took ice cream to a whole new level. Breyers is still good and all, but I want you to go get the absolute best quality vanilla ice cream you can find. I suggest Blue Bunny (this is the best I have tasted in a while) or something from Bluebell if you have that where you are. Edy’s also makes some very good ice cream and a lot of people swear by Purity, but I haven’t had a chance to taste any of theirs yet so I’m just sticking to the ones I know as recommendations. Just go for the absolute best in your area.
How To Make Homemade Vienetta Step by Step Instructions
- Line a loaf pan with waxed paper. This will help you get your loaf out.
- Spread 1/3 of your ice cream into the bottom of the loaf pan.
- Run the pick along it to form deep grooves. These will fill in with our yummy magic shell.
You can make homemade magic shell if you want…but you can also buy it for about a dollar. No sense in making extra work for yourself…
- Pour a layer of magic shell over and allow to harden a minute.
- Add another 1/3 of your ice cream and dig grooves into it with your pick again.
- Pour magic shell over that as well. I’m using butterscotch this time.
- Now add the rest of our ice cream and dig grooves into it as well.
- Top this final layer with a drizzle of chocolate magic shell and immediately cover with aluminum foil and place in the freezer until firm.
- When ready to serve, allow to sit out for about five minutes and then remove from the pan using the waxed paper. Remove the waxed paper and place on a platter to slice and serve.
Your ice cream can store for 3-4 months in the freezer. Just make sure to place it in a proper container for the freezer.
I recommend placing your ice cream cake on the back shelf, that way if you open and close the freezer it does not melt the ice cream.
Variations To Recipe
Now you can add in fun mix-in items to add flavor. Or use a different flavor of a magic shell. There is something about that crispy chocolate layer in this layered viennetta dessert that leaves you wanting one more bite.
- Crush up and sprinkle with cookies
- Add on some diced up candy bars
- Use a different flavor of magic shell for flavoring
- Swap the vanilla ice cream with chocolate or any other ice cream flavor
- Using a fork or pick to create ridges into the ice cream helps to create that classic groove look from the ice cream and chocolate layer of the cake.
- Quality ice cream is key. Since the ice cream is the main flavor, reach for your favorite brand.
- You can use any flavor of the Magic shell to create a different flavor pairing.
- Work somewhat fast, as the ice cream will melt pretty fast once you get started assembling your dessert.
What Ice Cream Should I Choose?
Quality ice cream is key in this vienetta cake. The reason being is the ice cream is going to be a stand-out flavor. So reach for a creamy and delicious vanilla ice cream for this dessert.
How To Serve Up This Ice Cream Dessert?
When ready to serve, allow to sit out for about five minutes and then remove from the pan using the waxed paper. Remove the waxed paper and place on a platter to slice and serve
Servings: 4Calories: 834kcal
- 1.5 - 1.75 quarts good quality vanilla ice cream your favorite
- 1 bottle chocolate magic shell
- 1 bottle butterscotch magic shell*
- 1 hair pick brand new, labeled for kitchen use only
- Waxed paper
- Loaf Pan
- Soften ice cream slightly by allowing to sit out for 5-10 minutes but no longer.
- Line loaf pan with waxed paper pieces that are long enough to hang over the sides.
- Spread 1/3 of ice cream in bottom of loaf pan. Make grooves in it with the pick. Squirt chocolate magic shell over top, just enough to cover. Allow to sit for one minute to harden.
- Repeat process using butterscotch magic shell as topping on second layer and then repeat once more, ending with just a drizzling of chocolate magic shell on top.
- Immediately cover with aluminum foil and place in freezer until frozen solid.
- To serve, remove loaf pan and allow to sit for five minutes. Grab both sides of waxed paper and pull loaf out of pan. Discard waxed paper and place loaf on platter. Carefully cut and then serve.
*The original Viennetta did not have butterscotch so go with 2 bottles of chocolate if you want to be more in line with that.
You may also like these ice cream recipes:
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake A Family Favorite
- No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
- Almost No Sugar Ice Cream Grahamwiches
- No Fry Fried Ice Cream
“A happy person is not a person in a
certain set of circumstances, but rather
a person with a certain set of attitudes.”
Submitted by Diane, thanks Diane! Click here to submit your own positive, funny, or motivational quote – or just browse our ever growing collection!