We are looking forward to Passover this year and I know a lot of you are as well. Passover is a one day Biblical Feast and it is immediately followed by the seven day Feast of Unleavened Bread. During that week, not only do we not eat anything with leavening agents in it, but we also make it a point to eat unleavened bread each day of the Feast, per instructions.
Two years ago I shared my soft, unleavened bread recipe with you. That’s a favorite on it’s own but I also use it to make cinnamon sugar breadsticks, cheesy bread, and even as a crust for our Passover Pizza!
Today I’m sharing my second recipe for Unleavened Bread with you. This one is even simpler, with just three ingredients (not counting the water). All you need is flour, a little salt, and a little oil. I can make a whole batch of these, start to finish, in about ten minutes. I have the dough ready to go into the skillet in under five (I timed myself today). Of course, this unleavened bread is also known by another name in most circles – tortillas.
With so many staying home right now and groceries more difficult to come by, this may be just the recipe you need for tortillas, quesadillas, sandwiches, or to serve as a side with your meals. And, of course, Passover is coming!
You’ll need: All purpose flour, water, salt, and just a little oil. You can use vegetable oil or olive oil.
I don’t count the water as one of the three ingredients because most of us are blessed enough to have that flowing from the faucets right now.
Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Until a dough is formed.
Lightly flour a surface and turn dough out onto that.
Knead just a few times until it is smoothish.
Divide dough into eight parts and roll each part into a small ball.
One at a time, roll each ball out into a thin circle, 6 or 7 inches in size.
Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
Cook each tortilla for about a minute on each side or until lightly browned, then remove and continue until all are done. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons oil vegetable or olive
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Okay, let me tell you why I have the ingredients in this order. I put them in countdown order because it is easier to remember that way. 3 tablespoons oil, 2 cups flour, 1 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt. See? Easy to remember.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together with a spoon until dough is formed.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead a just few times until smooth. Separate dough into 8 sections and roll each section into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each ball out into a thin circle about 6-7 inches in diameter.
- Lightly spray a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add tortillas, one at a time, and cook for about one minute on each side, or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Enjoy!