This delightful chicken with sour cream sauce recipe is a testament to the beauty of simplicity in cooking. With just a handful of ingredients and a few easy steps, you can create a dish that’s sure to satisfy any palate.
The heart of this recipe lies in the tender chicken breasts, which are cooked to perfection in a rich and creamy sour cream sauce. The sauce itself is a symphony of flavors, combining the tanginess of sour cream with the savory notes of chicken broth and the aromatic hints of garlic and onion. This harmonious blend creates a creamy gravy that coats the chicken, infusing every bite with an exquisite taste.
Serving this succulent chicken on a bed of egg noodles is the perfect choice. The noodles provide a comforting and hearty base that soaks up the luscious sauce, creating a delightful contrast of textures. Each forkful offers a mouthwatering combination of tender chicken, creamy sauce, and perfectly cooked noodles.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also incredibly versatile. It’s a fantastic option for both casual weeknight dinners and special occasions. The ease of preparation and minimal ingredients make it a go-to recipe for those times when you want a satisfying meal without a fuss.
Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out in the kitchen, this chicken with sour cream sauce is a recipe that’s sure to become a staple in your repertoire. Its simplicity, combined with its delectable flavor, makes it a dish that’s bound to please everyone at the table.
Simple, quick, but absolutely delicious! That’s my kind of weeknight supper. Keep scrolling for notes and serving suggestions. But I can never resist sour cream chicken with fresh green beans. Alright, let’s get cookin’!
Ingredients Needed To Make Chicken With Sour Cream Sauce
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Chicken With Sour Cream Sauce
Melt your butter in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
Add your chicken breasts and cook until lightly browned on each side, but not cooked through.
Add chicken broth to the skillet and reduce heat to low.
Simmer for about 10 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
To that skillet (and broth), add sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir with a wire whisk until smooth.
Now we need to thicken this a bit.
Remove about 1/2 cup of chicken broth and stir your flour into it until smooth and all the clumps are gone.
Pour that back into your skillet and return to low heat. Stir with a wire whisk until the gravy is thickened.
Return chicken breasts to skillet and stir to coat.
At this point, you can serve your chicken with sour cream sauce as they are atop a bed of egg noodles or cut them into pieces and place them on the noodles.
Either way, spoon extra gravy on top!
This chicken with sour cream sauce is so good!
How To Store Chicken With Sour Cream Sauce
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I recommend reheating them on low heat on the stovetop. Add a little bit more sour cream or broth if needed to loosen the sauce.
- I personally don’t recommend freezing dishes with creamy sauces.
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips and variations to consider when making this dish:
- Flavorful Additions: For an extra burst of flavor, consider caramelizing a chopped onion with additional butter and a minced garlic clove. You can also incorporate a chopped bell pepper. Simply remove them to a plate before cooking the chicken, and then reintroduce them to the skillet when adding the chicken.
- Enhanced Sauce: To elevate the taste of the sour cream sauce, try adding a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. This small addition can bring a delightful depth of flavor to the dish.
- Sour Cream Choice: It’s recommended to use full-fat sour cream rather than the low-fat version. This is because low-fat sour cream can sometimes separate or curdle when exposed to heat. Opting for the full-fat variety ensures a smooth and creamy sauce that complements the chicken perfectly.
Commonly Asked Questions
What is sour cream sauce made of?
The sour cream sauce is made from simple pantry and fridge staple ingredients: butter, flour, stock, sour cream, and seasoning. In this instance, we’re using garlic powder, salt, and pepper for the seasoning.
What do you serve with chicken and sour cream sauce?
Here are some serving suggestions for your chicken with sour cream sauce.
- Instead of egg noodles, serve the chicken with mashed potato, roasted potatoes, rice, pasta of your choice, or cauliflower rice.
- Soak up the sauce with buttermilk biscuits, cornbread, or quick dinner rolls.
- Serve it with a vegetable side dish. Some options include fresh green beans, roasted asparagus, zucchini and squash, collard greens, or Greek cucumber salad.
- Add a garnish, like chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh basil leaves, sliced green onions, freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped crispy bacon bits, or a sprinkle of paprika.
You may also like these saucy chicken recipes:
- Chicken Broccoli Skillet with Pimento Cheese Sauce
- Creamy Ranch Chicken Skillet
- Marry Me Chicken
- Creamed Chicken With Fresh Basil & Tomatoes
- Southern Smothered Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Tetrazzini
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until very lightly browned on both sides but not cooked through.4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Add chicken broth to skillet and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the skillet and place on a plate.2 cups chicken broth
- Leaving chicken broth in the skillet, add sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. While still cooking on low, stir until sour cream is melted and fully incorporated.1 cup full-fat sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Remove about 1/2 cup of liquid and stir flour into it until smooth. Pour back into the skillet and stir with a wire whisk until the gravy thickens and is smooth again.2 tablespoons flour
- Add chicken back and turn to coat. Serve chicken and sauce immediately over egg noodles.
You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.