This easy chicken with sour cream sauce recipe includes tender chicken breast cooked in a flavorful creamy gravy and served on a bed of egg noodles.
I’m always looking to add more chicken recipes to my arsenal. Specifically, those using boneless, skinless chicken breasts like this chicken with sour cream sauce because they are so loved by my family and everyone else’s too, it seems.
This flavorful chicken dish includes a delectable sour cream gravy. Smooth and creamy, it’s the ultimate compliment to the juicy cooked chicken and even better when you have egg noodles to sop it up. The bonus is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make.
First, let’s gather our ingredients: chicken breast, chicken broth, butter, garlic powder, sour cream, flour, salt, and pepper. The first step is to briefly cook the chicken in the butter. Then we add the chicken broth and let it simmer. Once we remove the chicken, it’s time to prepare our sour cream sauce by adding the remaining ingredients to the skillet. Then we place the chicken back into the skillet and serve.
Simple, quick, but absolutely delicious! That’s my kind of weeknight supper. Keep scrolling for notes and serving suggestions. But I can never resist sour cream chicken with fresh green beans. Alright, let’s get cookin’!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Chicken With Sour Cream Sauce
Melt your butter in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
Add your chicken breasts and cook until lightly browned on each side, but not cooked through.
Add chicken broth to the skillet and reduce heat to low.
Simmer for about 10 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
To that skillet (and broth), add sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir with a wire whisk until smooth.
Now we need to thicken this a bit.
Remove about 1/2 cup of chicken broth and stir your flour into it until smooth and all the clumps are gone.
Pour that back into your skillet and return to low heat. Stir with a wire whisk until the gravy is thickened.
Return chicken breasts to skillet and stir to coat.
At this point, you can serve your chicken with sour cream sauce as they are atop a bed of egg noodles or cut them into pieces and place them on the noodles.
Either way, spoon extra gravy on top!
This chicken with sour cream sauce is so good!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I recommend reheating them on low heat on the stovetop. Add a little bit more sour cream or broth if needed to loosen the sauce.
- I personally don’t recommend freezing dishes with creamy sauces.
- If you like, caramelize a chopped onion with extra butter and a minced garlic clove. Another option is adding a chopped bell pepper. Remove them to a plate before cooking the chicken and continue with the instructions as directed. Then you can return them to the skillet when you add the chicken.
- To add more flavor to the sour cream sauce, add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- I recommend using full-fat sour cream over low-fat because the latter can separate or curdle when cooked over heat.
What is sour cream sauce made of?
The sour cream sauce is made from simple pantry and fridge staple ingredients: butter, flour, stock, sour cream, and seasoning. In this instance, we’re using garlic powder, salt, and pepper for the seasoning.
What do you serve with chicken and sour cream sauce?
Here are some serving suggestions for your chicken with sour cream sauce.
- Instead of egg noodles, serve the chicken with mashed potato, roasted potatoes, rice, pasta of your choice, or cauliflower rice.
- Soak up the sauce with buttermilk biscuits, cornbread, or quick dinner rolls.
- Serve it with a vegetable side dish. Some options include fresh green beans, roasted asparagus, zucchini and squash, collard greens, or Greek cucumber salad.
- Add a garnish, like chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh basil leaves, sliced green onions, freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped crispy bacon bits, or a sprinkle of paprika.
You may also like these saucy chicken recipes:
Chicken Broccoli Skillet with Pimento Cheese Sauce
Creamed Chicken With Fresh Basil & Tomatoes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until very lightly browned on both sides but not cooked through.4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Add chicken broth to skillet and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the skillet and place on a plate.2 cups chicken broth
- Leaving chicken broth in the skillet, add sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. While still cooking on low, stir until sour cream is melted and fully incorporated.1 cup full-fat sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Remove about 1/2 cup of liquid and stir flour into it until smooth. Pour back into the skillet and stir with a wire whisk until the gravy thickens and is smooth again.2 tablespoons flour
- Add chicken back and turn to coat. Serve chicken and sauce immediately over egg noodles.
Click here to share this on Facebook
Click here to share this on Pinterest
You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.
The sauce is delicious.
So glad that you like it Barbara! Thank you for the comment and rating 🙂
I came here for a sour cream gravy recipe and ended up reading one of the sweetest posts with great advice. You’re probably around 22 years married now, so wishing you and Ricky the happiest of anniversaries ahead!